The goal of the Industry Practice Expo track is to bring to the forefront the real issues and implications of data mining and bridge the gap between the theoretical and practical.
-Ying Li, KDD 2012 IPE Co-Chair, Chief Scientist of Concurix.
New York, NY (PRWEB) June 27, 2012
The Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (ACM SIGKDD) announced today that in response to surging demand for insights into data mining business applications, its premier international conference, KDD 2012, is expanding its Industry Practice Expo (IPE) track. Initiated for the fist time at last year’s conference, this year’s IPE track will be the forum for leading industry experts from diverse areas of data science application – from Internet and social network leaders, to financial institutions, government organizations, and research institutions. KDD 2012 takes place in Beijing, China, from August 12-16, 2012.
“The goal of the Industry Practice Expo is to bring to the forefront the real issues and implications of data mining and bridge the gap between the theoretical and practical,” said Ying Li, KDD 2012 Industry Practice Expo Co-Chair, Chief Scientist of Concurix and a former Partner Data Scientist at Microsoft. “This year’s IPE track builds on the great start last year and is bound to energize the SIGKDD community with insights from some of the brightest data mining minds, who deliver on the promise of Big Data across domain areas and roles.”
KDD 2012 Industry Practice Expo reflects the growing strategic significance of data across industries and government centers. The confirmed speakers at the IPE include:
- Seymour Douglas, Director, Analytic & Forensic Technology, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP
- Rich Holada, Vice President, Predictive Analytics, IBM Software Group
- Chih-Jen Lin, distinguished professor at the Department of Computer Science, National Taiwan University and a visiting principal research scientist, eBay Research Labs
- Wei-Ying Ma, Assistant Managing Director, Microsoft Research Asia
- Christian Posse, Principal Scientist, LinkedIn
- Yong Shi, Executive Deputy Director, Chinese Academy of Sciences Research Center on Fictitious Economy & Data Science
- Graham Williams, Director of Data Mining, Australian Taxation Office
Held for the first time in Asia, this year’s KDD conference boasts a record number of corporate sponsors, who are attracted by the scope and depth of the conference programming as well as its ability to attract the top global data science talent. In addition to the IPE, the conference will also feature:
- Big Data Panel, featuring Big Data pioneers such as SIGKDD Chair Dr. Usama Fayyad (ChoozOn) and former SIGKDD Innovation Award recipient Dr. Christos Faloutsos (Carnegie-Melon University).
- Keynotes from leading data science experts such as Robin Li, Co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Baidu, the leading search engine in China and the third largest independent search engine in the world.
- Tutorials on social media analytics, Internet ad systems, online recommendations, financial market predictions from scientists at AT&T, Harvard, Microsoft, UCLA and Yahoo!
- Workshops to explore data mining applications for social media, healthcare, security, and urban computing
- First of its kind summer school, focused on two of the hottest topics in data mining today: Mining Complex Data and Large Scale Data Mining of Big Data.
- Asia-Pacific Track, giving a forum to the growing number of scientists from the region to share their contributions to KDD and increase awareness and momentum of KDD research in this region.
- Award sessions for winners of ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards and the KDD Cup competition.
The event is open to both ACM SIGKDD members as well as non-members. Early registration, offering significant registration fee discounts to SIGKDD members and non-members is in progress until June 29, 2012. For additional registration information please visit kdd2012.sigkdd.org
With over 2000 members from leading research institutions, universities and business organizations in more than 80 countries, the ACM Special Interest Group on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (SIGKDD) is the premier forum for advancement and adoption of KDD, data science, and data mining over Big Data. SIGKDD’s mission is to provide the growing community of big data and analytics experts with tools and resources to promote the value of knowledge discovery and data mining in today’s data-centric economy. The current SIGKDD Executive Council Chairman is leading data mining expert Usama Fayyad, Ph.D. For additional information, please visit kdd.org or follow us on Twitter (@kdd_news).
ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery http://www.acm.org, is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society, uniting computing educators, researchers and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources and address the field’s challenges. ACM strengthens the computing profession’s collective voice through strong leadership, promotion of the highest standards, and recognition of technical excellence. ACM supports the professional growth of its members by providing opportunities for life-long learning, career development, and professional networking.