San Diego, CA (PRWEB) July 03, 2012
While most people will be trying to beat the heat this summer, geckos are reveling in it. These cold-blooded creatures will welcome the July warmth as Petco™ shows them off at their monthly Meet the Critters event. Children and adults will have an opportunity to get up-close and personal with the unique animals that are one of the most popular reptile pets. Guests are welcome to get hands on with the colorful, velvety and friendly creatures the weekend of July 7 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. The event will also offer an educational Meet and Greet for attendees to ask questions and learn if a gecko could be the right fit for their household.
Some of the fun facts that guests can learn at the Meet the Critters event include:
- Geckos are the only reptiles that have the ability to use their voice (other than hissing sounds). They often make barking, chirping or clicking noises when interacting socially with other geckos.
- There are hundreds of gecko species spread across the globe in the most diversified environments: deserts, mountains and even rainforests. The only place geckos won’t be found is in Antarctica, the Arctic area and surrounding regions of North America, Asia and Europe.
- Leopard Geckos love to have different colored sand in their habitat, making it fun for children to personalize their pet’s terrarium.
- Most species of geckos do not appear to have actual eyelids. In fact, their eyelids have become transparent much like contact lenses, which they will lick to keep clean. These “lenses” are immovable, that is, they do not open and close.
- Crested Geckos have a velvety feel and come in a variety of unique colors and patterns.
- A gecko can support about eight times their weight hanging from just one toe.
- It is often thought that geckos are double-jointed, but their toes actually just bend in the opposite direction from human fingers and toes.
For more information on July’s Meet the Critters Gecko event, please visit http://www.petco.com/kids.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,100 stores nationwide, including more than 30 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $90 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,500 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.