(PRWEB) July 01, 2012
The prescription drug abuse problem has skyrocketed in the past decade. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), over 20,000 Americans die each year of prescription drug abuse. Opioid pain relievers now account for more overdose deaths than cocaine and heroin combined.
The landmark deal that was announced by Governor Cuomo mandates real-time tracking when doctors write prescriptions for controlled substances and when pharmacists fill them. Prior to this deal, participation was not mandatory, however all physicians must participate in this new tracking system.
AFTS Labs is dedicated to combating this growing drug problem by educating physicians, staff, and community on better prescription drug safety protocols. “Now that physicians are being mandated to track the prescriptions of their pain patients, AFTS Labs is on a quest to help physicians and their practices combat prescription drug abuse. A large part of our business is given back in the form of educating physicians on teaching their staff and patients on safety protocols when it comes to medication monitoring”, said Dr. Richard Stripp, owner and chief toxicologist at AFTS Labs.
AFTS Labs is committed to helping physicians make informed decisions for improved patient care. In the face of current national trends, there are many clinical reasons for incorporating drug testing into routine pain practices:
- Provides the clinician with an objective test that documents prescription drug adherence, misuse and/or illicit drug usage.
- Identifies drugs that have the potential to cause adverse reactions.
- Aids in the diagnosis or treatment of disease or addiction.
- Confirms compliance with the agreed upon treatment plan and makes the patient aware that drug testing is an essential part of the treatment plan.
- Identifies intentional dilution, adulteration, substitution or tampering of the specimen.
- Justifies the continuation of chronic opioid therapy in patients who adhere to the treatment plan and have acceptable drug tests.
- Provides rationale to change the treatment plan in patients with unacceptable drug tests and supports referral to addiction specialists.
- Identifies the use of medications from other sources that can complicate the treatment plan.
- Serves as a resource when doctors are acting as advocates for the patients in family and social issues.
- Identifies patient inaccuracies with self-reported medication use.
- Foster communication and reinforces trust between physician and patient.
If you are a physician requiring education on safety protocols and medication monitoring, please feel free to contact our laboratory for additional information.
AFTS Labs specializes in providing clinical oral fluid and urine drug testing for the substance abuse, pain management and forensic industries. With our reputation for accuracy and swift turnaround times, AFTS Labs is recognized as the premier facility for reliable results and clinical drug testing services. For more information please visit http://www.aftslabs.com or to become a customer, contact Cristen Cuomo at Ccuomo(at)aftslabs(dot)com or 888-214-8444.