Web sites may use any number of phrases to describe the type of merchandise they carry, but the phrase ‘100% authenticity guarantee’ is one of the most important when shopping for high end designer brands.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) July 05, 2012
Thanks to the World Wide Web, shoppers have the opportunity to browse thousands of offers in pursuit of the best deals in online shopping. Unfortunately, the internet also provides less trustworthy merchants of “quality goods” the perfect cover to scam trusting consumers into buying items of poor quality, or in many instances, downright fakes. Longtime admirers of luxury brands and those looking to enhance their fashion repertoire, can avoid the embarrassment and frustration of purchasing phony goods by learning to identify authentic merchandise.
1) Research The Seller: When completing a transaction over the internet, a Web site is getting more than your money: The results of giving your name, credit card, e-mail, and mailing address to an untrustworthy vendor can be disastrous. Start by Googling the name of the company and see what turns up. The Better Business Bureau can be a powerful tool for consumers looking to check the validity and reputation of businesses both on and off the internet.
2) Learn The Lingo: Web sites may use any number of phrases to describe the type of merchandise they carry, but the phrase ‘100% authenticity guarantee’ is one of the most valuable when shopping for luxury brands. This is because, in the fashion world there is a difference between counterfeits and knockoffs: The former being an outright imitation of an existing product right down to the designer logo, the latter, a product simply “inspired by” another, more popular creation. Designer clothing does not have copyright or trademark protection, which makes knockoffs legal to sell – so long as they are not “inspired” to use another brand’s logo. Sellers of counterfeits, however, bypass all assertions of inspiration and attempt to convince buyers they are purchasing an authentic item. Therefore, be sure to identify a logo, trademark and authenticity guarantee when considering an online purchase.
3) Do Your Fashion Forensics: The devil is in the detail, and most counterfeit handbags and eyewear lack the attention to detail and quality of the high-priced items they attempt to mirror. The error in duplication can be as minor as improper stitching or as obvious as a misspelling of the original designer’s name. When shopping online for a luxury pieces such as a designer handbag, the sale price can also be an indicator of whether or not the item is genuine. Any brand new item priced significantly below retail is probably too good to be true and possibly fake. Keep a tab of an item’s true value before jumping at a sale. Beware of purchasing any item from a seller who uses stock photos; an image of the item on sale is always a safer way to shop. Lastly, accessory pieces such as luxury watches and sunglasses typically have a serial number, which should be provided by the supplier either by photo or request prior to completing an online purchase.
4) Return/Refund Policy: A seller that refuses to accept a return under any circumstance ought to raise a red flag. People make returns for a number of reasons: The item appeared larger online, or perhaps the color seems a little off, or it may just be good old fashioned buyer’s remorse. Whatever the reason, most reputable sellers allow buyers to request their money back if they are not happy with their purchase. The length of time allowed for returns may vary, but be wary of any Web site that seems more interested in completing a one-time transaction than earning your respect and continued business.
5) Have it Verified: Even after researching a seller, inspecting the photos and verifying the serial number / date-code of an online purchase, for many, the true test of a product’s authenticity comes when it is in their possession. If an online shopper has done their research thoroughly, yet cannot shake the feeling that things are a little off, there are authentication services available online that may help ease fears about an online purchase. Similarly, there are online manuals as well as videos on YouTube which help guide consumers evaluate products from such high end brands as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Chanel and others.
By doing a little homework, shoppers can better prepare themselves for online shopping and get their money’s worth in the pursuit of upscale designer fashion.
ABOUT RODEO DRIVE RESALE
With over a decade of experience, Rodeo Drive Resale specializes in buying, selling, and consignment of authentic couture fashions. Buy, sell or consign favorite luxury designers such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, St. John Knits, David Yurman, Christian Louboutin, Tiffany & Co. and more. All items are Guaranteed 100% authentic. Visit RDR online at http://www.shoprdr.com or call toll free at (888)697-3725.