When storing your bags, use a breathable covering such as a dust bag. Also, never store an empty bag; it should be filled with soft tissue. The idea is to keep it stuffed so that it retains its shape.
Houston, TX (PRWEB) July 06, 2012
Quality luxury handbags are designed to last for many years. Unfortunately, newer owners of high-end designer handbags may see their big ticket purchase fall short of its intended lifespan due to extreme exposure to the elements, improper storage and other forms of mistreatment. Raya Jaffer, style expert and co-founder of Rodeo Drive Resale (http://www.shopRDR.com), has a few pointers on how to get the most from your handbag investment.
1) Handbag Preparation: The first step is to treat the bag with a leather protector, which will protect it from many minor stains that may occur down the line.
2) Pack Light: Never overload a luxury bag, as this can lead to major strain on the straps, which may have to be repaired down the line. Also, filling a purse to maximum capacity can cause the bag to become misshapen, ruining its overall appearance.
3) Keep it Clean: Dirt, oil, and sweat can quickly turn a cherished Louis Vuitton bag into a spotty mess. Therefore, it is always a good idea to only handle these luxury items with clean hands. Also, avoid placing it on the ground – for even a short while. The three-second rule is a no-go when it comes to high fashion, and so for less than $20 bucks a purse hanger is the perfect companion for your luxury bag. Strong enough to hold most bags, purse hangers literally hang of the edge off the table, leaving your bag free from the millions of germs on the ground, just waiting to ruin its pristine finish.
4) Store with Care: When the bag is not being used, it should be placed in an even temperature environment, Raya advises. “Make sure that your handbag is in an air controlled environment, not overly cold or hot. Humidity will actually change the finish of your leather or whatever kind of bag you have. It will also tarnish the hardware.” She went on to add that the bag should also be covered. “When storing your bags, use a breathable covering such as a dust bag. Also, never store a bag with nothing inside, it should be filled with soft tissue. The idea is to keep it stuffed so that it retains its shape.”
5) Give it Space: “Make sure you don’t stack your handbags on top of each other,” Raya says. “Because this will cause dents on your bags from the weight of bags on top of it.” Very fancy bags with nontraditional straps can be tricky, she says, noting that the special care must be given to straps that have the potential to damage the bag. “If it has a chain strap, make sure you wrap the chain in something because if you just lay the chain over the bag, it will leave an imprint.”
Popular handbags from designers such as Prada, Chanel and Judith Leiber can cost a pretty penny, but these high ticket items hold their value exceptionally well, especially for owners take the time to care for their luxury brand bags.
ABOUT RODEO DRIVE RESALE
With over a decade of experience, Rodeo Drive Resale specializes in buying, selling, and consignment of authentic couture fashions. Buy, sell or consign favorite luxury designers such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, St. John Knits, David Yurman, Christian Louboutin, Tiffany & Co. and more. All items are Guaranteed 100% Authentic. Visit RDR online at http://www.shoprdr.com or call toll free at (888)697-3725.