Columbus, OH (PRWEB) July 07, 2012
This summer’s heat wave can sometimes put a stop to summer fun. The editors of Highlights magazine have posted some ideas for kids to stay busy, and cool, at Highlights.com/Newsroom. Here are a few suggestions for activities to ride out the heat:
1. Fill a wading pool with water, and create “splashdance” routines with friends.
2. Instead of putting ice cubes in your lemonade, use frozen grapes and berries for a sweet twist.
3. Play sponge tag! Whoever is It uses a soft, wet sponge to tag other players. (It cannot throw the sponge).
4. Make a “Floating Water Lilies” centerpiece (instructions at HighlightsKids.com).
5. Play ice checkers! Use 12 regular ice cubes and 12 cubes made with a grape frozen inside each one. Use chalk to draw a checkerboard on the sidewalk. To “king” a checker, place a penny on top of it. Play until the checkers melt!
6. Make ice cube glue! Download instructions for this and other ice activities at Highlights.com/newsroom.
Families can download these and other fun ideas to stay cool at Highlights.com/newsroom. For information on safety during heat waves, visit RedCross.org for their Heat Wave Safety Check List.
Devoted to “Fun with a Purpose,” family media brand Highlights for Children, Inc. (http://www.highlights.com/) has helped children become their best selves for generations. Highlights magazines are the best-read children’s magazines in North America, and total more than 250 million impressions each year. Other Highlights offerings include a web site for kids (HighlightsKids.com), a children’s book company (Boyds Mills Press), puzzle book clubs and mobile applications like My First Hidden Pictures. “Fun with a Purpose,” Hidden Pictures and Goofus and Gallant are a registered trademarks of Highlights for Children, Inc.