The recurring theme we saw throughout this data is that New Yorkers, like most others, see their dogs as family members; this was unanimous
New York, NY (PRWEB) July 09, 2012
Protect Your Bubble, a U.S. insurance brand that provides pet insurance for dogs and cats, today shared insight into the behavior trends and demographics of the New York dog owner. The company surveyed 66 dog owners at various dog park locations in New York City, including the Lower East Side, Financial District, Madison Square Park, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, and Brooklyn Heights, which resulted in the following data:
- On average, dog owners in the Lower East Side take their dogs to the dog park 5 times a week, the most out of each of the six neighborhoods. And, 60.6 percent of respondents go to the same dog park every time, as opposed to rotating locations.
- On average, residents in New York bring their dogs to the vet two to four times a year and spend anywhere from $400 to $1,800 per year on vet bills; 80.3 percent of which is spent on routine check ups, as opposed to catastrophic care.
- Dog owners in Madison Square Park spend the most on annual vet bills, averaging $1,512.
- Despite these high yearly vet bills, 90.9 percent of respondents revealed that they don’t have insurance for their dog. This is still 7 percent higher than the national average.
- Of the six neighborhoods, the Upper East Side is home to the oldest dogs, with the average age being six, and the Lower East Side is home to the youngest dogs, with the average age being two.
- 92.4 percent of respondents do not have children and 100 percent of them considered their dogs to be like children.
- The most common dog breeds in New York City dog parks were:
1.Shih Tzu (9 percent)
2. Tied between French Bulldog and Dachshund (7.5 percent)
3. Chihuahua (6 percent)
“The recurring theme we saw throughout this data is that New Yorkers, like most others, see their dogs as family members; this was unanimous,” said Stephen Ebbett, president of Protect Your Bubble. “However, through this survey, we also discovered that the majority of these dog parents don’t have insurance, something that would not only better protect their dogs but also save them a significant amount of money per year.”
Protect Your Bubble’s pet insurance offers the following benefits:
- ProtectYourBubble.com pet insurance provides up to 90 percent reimbursement for vet fees.
- The pet insurance allows owners to visit any licensed vet in the country.
- Coverage options offer flexible payment terms and a $100 annual deductible that only needs to be met once per policy year.
- Multiple policy options allow consumers to select the best plan to care for their furry family member.
- Pets with pre-existing conditions and/or over the age of 12 (dogs) and 14 (cats) can still qualify for the Safety Plan which offers protection against accidental conditions.
- A 10 percent discount is available for multiple pets.
In addition to offering convenient and affordable coverage for pets, Protect Your Bubble is also committed to educating the market about the availability of pet insurance and the impact it can have if vet bills start to stack up. Research shows that owners who have insurance are more likely to take their pets to vets for routine and urgent care.
Protect Your Bubble also offers insurance for gadgets, travel and car rental, to cover all the little things and moments in life that often have the biggest impact. Consumers can receive a quote in only two minutes for their pets, gadgets, travel and car rental by visiting http://www.protectyourbubble.com.
About Protect Your Bubble:
Protect Your Bubble is a specialty insurance brand, offering convenient and affordable insurance for gadgets, pets and travel - all for today’s modern consumer. Headquartered in Atlanta, Protect Your Bubble is available online, via mobile app or phone, allowing consumers to understand, buy and, most importantly, protect what enriches their lives. Find Protect Your Bubble USA on Facebook or Twitter (@PYBUSA) or visit http://www.protectyourbubble.com for more information or to get a two-minute quote.
Protect Your Bubble USA