We wanted to showcase those schools that go above and beyond to provide a complete collegiate experience — whatever that means to them." - Stephanie Kaplan, Her Campus Co-Founder, CEO & Editor-in-Chief
Boston, MA (PRWEB) July 19, 2012
These are the best of the best in higher education. Schools that may not be Ivy, but deserve to be placed amongst them. Colleges where you may find a future Olympian, celebrity, maybe even a president or two roaming the halls. Campuses where students are addicted to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and their dream wedding on Pinterest.
There is even a little love for a species known as "the bro."
With a team of over 3,000 student experts at more than 200 colleges and universities across the country, Her Campus (http://www.hercampus.com) the #1 online community for college women, is proud to announce its totally traditional, yet 100% non-traditional 2012 College Rankings.
“We wanted to showcase those schools that go above and beyond to provide a complete collegiate experience — whatever that means to them,” said Her Campus Co-Founder, CEO & Editor-in-Chief Stephanie Kaplan. “These rankings showcase the diversity of our student ambassadors and the campuses themselves, demonstrating how each school is unique in its own way while having (more than) a little bit of fun.”
Colleges were ranked in 13 different categories ranging from the best schools to study abroad, to those that provide the best GBFF’s (Gay Best Friend Forever’s) to accommodate for the lack of single men, to those whose dining halls rival five-star restaurants, and beyond.
2012 COLLEGE RANKINGS
Rankings with detailed descriptions of each school can be found at: http://www.hercampus.com/her-campuss-2012-college-rankings/
Most Attractive (Schools with the most attractive men)
1) Wake Forest University, 2) The University of Virginia, 3) The University of Wisconsin, 4) James Madison University, 5) Boston College, 6) The University of California at Santa Barbara, 7) Colby College, 8) Yale University, 9) Georgetown University, 10) Duke University.
Tradition U (Schools that embrace tradition the most)
1) College of William and Mary, 2) United States Military Academy – West Point, 3) Auburn University, 4) Harvard University, 5) Stanford University, 6) Yale University, 7) Howard University 8) The University of Georgia, 9) Dickinson College, 10) The University of Iowa.
Five Star Dining (Schools with the best on-campus food)
1) Bowdoin College, 2) Cornell University, 3) Middlebury College, 4) The University of Georgia, 5) Virginia Tech, 6) Claremont McKenna, 7) Princeton University 8) Washington University in St. Louis, 9) University of Portland, 10) Gustavus Adolphus College.
Olympic U (The most Olympic schools)
1) The University of Southern California, 2) The University of California Los Angeles, 3) Stanford University, 4) The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 5) The University of California Berkeley 6) Harvard University, 7) The University of Texas 8) The University of Florida 9) The University of Michigan, 10) Indiana University.
Social Media Savvy (The best schools for social media addicts)
1) Emerson College, 2) The University of Kentucky, 3) Harvard University, 4) The University of Texas, 5) Johns Hopkins University, 6) Ohio State University, 7) The University of Michigan, 8) Babson College, 9) Stanford University, 10) American University.
The New, New Ivies (Schools that have seen a rapid rise in academic reputation)
1) The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2) Tufts University, 3) Carnegie Mellon University, 4) The University of Notre Dame, 5) Rice University, 6) Johns Hopkins University, 7) Washington University in St. Louis, 8) Northeastern University, 9) Emory University, 10) Boston College.
Barstool Sports / Jenna Marbles Schools (The coolest, most fun-loving schools)
1) Boston University, 2) University of South Carolina, 3) The University of Wisconsin, 4) Harvard University, 5) New York University, 6) Cal State Northridge, 7) Yale University, 8) The University of Florida, 9) Colorado State University, 10) Georgetown University.
Newsworthy - Making News (Schools that have found themselves in the headlines)
1) Penn State, 2) Boston University, 3) The University of California Berkeley, 4) The University of Michigan, 5) The University of Virginia.
Newsworthy - Breaking News (Schools that excel in student media)
1) The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2) Northwestern University, 3) The University of Florida, 4) The University of Maryland, 5) Ohio University.
Study Abroad (Schools that excel in programs outside of the United States)
1) Arcadia University, 2) Goucher College, 3) Dartmouth College, 4) New York University, 5) Kalamazoo College, 6) The University of Dallas, 7) Dickinson College, 8) Middlebury College, 9) Elon College, 10) The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University.
My Gay BFF (Great social schools, even without a plethora of single, straight men)
1) The Fashion Institute of Technology, 2) Emerson College, 3) New York University, 4) Sarah Lawrence College, 5) American University, 6) The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 7) Barnard College, 8) Smith College, 9) The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 10) Bryn Mawr College.
Most Celebrified (Schools with the most celebrity presence)
1) New York University, 2) The University of Southern California, 3) The University of California Los Angeles, 4) Harvard University, 5) Columbia University, 6) Yale University, 7) Boston University, 8) The University of Texas, 9) The University of Michigan, 10) The University of Florida.
Most Brodacious (The biggest “bro” schools)
1) Duke University, 2) Dartmouth College, 3) Ohio State University, 4) Colby College, 5) The University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 6) The University of Alabama, 7) Tulane University, 8) The University of Southern California, 9) Syracuse University, 10) Bucknell University.
Most Presidential - Obama (Schools most likely to vote for Barack)
1) Harvard University, 2) The University of North Carolina, 3) Columbia University, 4) Princeton University, 5) Warren Wilson College.
Most Presidential - Romney (Schools most likely to vote for Mitt)
1) Brigham Young University, 2) Yale University, 3) The University of Utah, 4) Patrick Henry College, 5) Full Sail University.
ABOUT HER CAMPUS
Her Campus (http://www.hercampus.com) is the #1 online community for college women with chapters at 200+ colleges across the country, supplementing national content with local content, produced entirely by the nation's top student journalists. Her Campus also serves as a marketing platform connecting companies with college students across the country in creative ways.
Founded by three Harvard students - Stephanie Kaplan '10, Windsor Hanger '10, and Annie Wang '11 – Her Campus launched in September 2009 after winning Harvard's business plan competition, and has since grown to 1 million monthly readers with chapters at 200+ colleges. The company has formed content partnerships with Seventeen magazine, SELF magazine and The Huffington Post, and worked with clients including Victoria’s Secret, Intel, LOFT, New Balance, Pinkberry, west elm and popchips among others.
Her Campus is a 2011 winner and was named Best All-Around Team in MassChallenge, the world's largest startup competition. Her Campus has been featured in the The New York Times, Yahoo Finance, Fast Company, Forbes, PR Week, Mashable, The Economist, AOL Money College, CNN Money, CBS MoneyWatch, Business Insider, U.S. News & World Report, and on ABC News Now and Fox25 News, among others. The Her Campus co-founders have been named to BusinessWeek’s 25 Under 25 Best Young Entrepreneurs, Inc. magazine's 30 Under 30 Coolest Young Entrepreneurs, Glamour magazine's 20 Amazing Young Women, and The Boston Globe's 25 Most Stylish Bostonians.