“We know that more information in the hands of appropriate influencers will ultimately lead to safer kids—and that’s our ultimate goal,”
Arlington, VA (PRWEB) July 19, 2012
uKnowKids, a leading child safety company announced today the release of “Back to School Cyberbullying Statistics” the first of a series of infographics that addresses the rising number of cyberbullying cases during the 2011-2012 school year. Community Outreach Manager Tyler O’Rourke stated, “97% of middle school children have been bullied online and only 10% reported the abuse to their parents.”
As part of its commitment to keeping children safe, uKnowKids has designed a campaign to inform parents and educators of the importance of teaching children of all ages social networking and Internet safety. The company is currently offering free resources to parents and educators. “We know that more information in the hands of appropriate influencers will ultimately lead to safer kids—and that’s our ultimate goal,” said O’Rourke.
uKnowKids provides the following tips on cyberbullying for parents:
- Set a good example: Kids learn from everything you do and will mirror your every action.
- Talk about it before it happens: Make sure your child is prepared to identify cyberbullying and knows how to deal with an incident should it occur.
- When you see it, address it: Whether it is bullying in your house or on your computer, if you discover a situation where your child is being bullied or bullying another child, it is your responsibility to intervene and stop it.
- Talk about your “house rules”: What happens if your child gets caught being a cyberbully? Would you consider an amnesty policy for encouraging your child to tell you when something is wrong? Think about your “house rules” and discuss them with your whole family so everyone plays by the same rules.
- Use a Parental Intelligence System: At the very least you should monitor your children’s social media accounts. Some parents choose to “friend” their child but with privacy settings, kids can easily block what mom and dad see.
To help ensure child safety this coming school year, uKnowKids will be featuring a new infographic each month. Stay tuned for our next infographic on “Cyberbullying: A Growing Trend.”
Please note that website bloggers can copy the infographic onto their own site to share with friends and readers by downloading here—
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Arlington, VA., uKnow.com is the only company that offers a parental intelligence system available for both private-label and consumer use. The company powers the world’s leading Parental Intelligence Systems including uKnowKids.com, KidSafe.me, SafeCyberKids.com, SocialFirefly.com, aBeanstalk.com, MySocialScout.net, and p911Safety.com, among others.
uKnow.com works with companies and organizations to help parents protect their kids from child predators, sexting, and cyberbullying with a special focus on social networks and mobile phone. uKnow.com’s technology provides parents with a bird’s eye view of what is going on in their child’s digital world so that they can keep their finger on the pulse, and when necessary, take action to protect the safety and privacy of their kids. You can find uKnow.com on Twitter at twitter.com/uKnow_com, on Facebook at facebook.com/uKnow.com, and on their Parenting Blog.