GraphicDesign.com Readers Split on Importance of a Degree

Share Article

GraphicDesign.com asked their readers 3 questions around the subject of whether a graphic design degree is necessary or not. Their infographic shows some very interesting and quite shocking results.

News Image
Do you think it is important for designers to have a degree? GraphicDesign readers were evenly split, with 48% saying, "No, it makes no difference." The other 52% responded, "Yes, it gives a good groundwork for their career.

A recent feature article on GraphicDesign.com focused on whether a graphic design degree was necessary. Should prospective graphic designers spend time, money, and energy pursuing a degree or instead seek work experience and move up in the industry?

When asked, "Do you think it is important for designers to have a degree," GraphicDesign readers were evenly split, with 48% saying, "No, it makes no difference." The other 52% responded, "Yes, it gives a good groundwork for their career." On the rationale for the nearly 50-50 split among voters, one commenter speculated, "Most degrees out there for design are garbage and teach you little more than how to use Photoshop, resulting in amateur designers who think they understand design."

In a separate poll question, 60% of GraphicDesign.com readers affirmed they have a degree in graphic design or a related subject. Only 38% of respondents revealed they didn't have a degree, while 8% were in the process of considering one. In the original article, author Jo Gifford pointed out that in the United Kingdom, 41% of all designers hold a degree level qualification.

GraphicDesign.com readers were also asked whether the global economy will affect how many designers will have degrees in the coming years. Readers were highly slanted in this question, with two-thirds saying that student debt could put off would-be designers and only one-third saying that the job scope would continue to be enough to encourage people to study.

The staggering costs of college, presented along with the results of the aforementioned poll in a quirky infographic on GraphicDesign.com, could be enough to deter many aspiring professionals from considering school. For example, the cost of tuition, room, and board at public universities ballooned by a staggering 37% between 2000 and 2010, a span of only 10 years.

Today, 1.4 million to 2.4 million bachelor's degrees won't be awarded to promising high school graduates who are unable to attend college due to financial reasons, according to the same infographic. This compares to 1.0 to 1.6 million degrees in the 1990s.

With student loan debt currently over $1 trillion dollars in the United States, it's no wonder that many aspiring graphic designers are questioning whether a degree is needed. As Gifford summarized, "The article did touch on something I've seen all too often with my classmates: that a degree was a 'get into work free card,' but with the costs of studying at an all time high, is the 'free' card really free?"

Visit GraphicDesign.com to view the infographic designed by Killer Infographics and be sure to look for more interactive polls every week. The results and infographic can be found HERE.

ABOUT GRAPHICDESIGN.COM

GraphicDesign.com is a product of Terran Marketing and a leading source of news and information devoted entirely to the graphic design industry. Employers, students, and freelancers come to GraphicDesign.com to read and discuss current news, information, and events in the graphic design industry.

CONTACT:

Julia Wild
Terran Marketing
892 East Steger Town Road, Suite #206
Rockwall, TX 75032
Phone: (540) 908-2195
E-Mail: julia(at)graphicdesign(dot)com

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Mike Jackness
Visit website