San Diego, CA (PRWEB) July 26, 2012
Ocean’s Flavor Natural Sea Salts, the world leader in the sale and marketing of natural low sodium sea salts, today announced that Walmart has chosen their new low sodium sea salt shaker for their Florida stores.
Ocean’s Flavor is 100% Natural Solar-Evaporated Sea Salt without additives. Alan Fisher, Ocean’s Flavor President and CEO said, “Ocean’s Flavor is the leader in healthy innovations because our patented solar-evaporated process significantly reduces sodium but retains more than 100 trace minerals and flavor in a natural, non-processed way.”
Ocean’s Flavor’s mission includes “meeting and exceeding the demands of health-conscious and flavor-sensitive consumers,” which Fisher said aligns perfectly with Walmart’s healthy initiative. “We are very pleased to be selected by Walmart to offer Ocean Flavor’s Sea Salts in their Florida locations.”
Walmart’s initiative, unveiled in January 2011 in partnership with First Lady Michelle Obama, is a comprehensive effort to provide its customers with healthier and more affordable food choices. The five key elements of the program include:
1. Reformulating thousands of everyday packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium 25 percent and added sugars 10 percent, and by removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats. The company will work with suppliers to improve the nutritional quality of national food brands and its Great Value private brand in key product categories to complete the reformulations;
2. Making healthier choices more affordable, saving customers approximately $1 billion per year on fresh fruits and vegetables through a variety of sourcing, pricing, and transportation and logistics initiatives that will drive unnecessary costs out of the supply chain. Walmart will also dramatically reduce or eliminate the price premium on key “better-for-you” items, such as reduced sodium, sugar or fat products;
3. Developing strong criteria for a simple front-of-package seal that will help consumers instantly identify truly healthier food options such as whole grain cereal, whole wheat pasta or unsweetened canned fruit;
4. Providing solutions to address food deserts by building stores in underserved communities that are in need of fresh and affordable groceries; and
5. Increasing charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.
Researchers and the medical field have long expressed concerns about health risks associated with too much sodium in the American diet. The American Heart Association reports that it is estimated that of the one in three Americans who will develop high blood pressure, a high-sodium diet may be to blame. Other possible harmful effects include increased risk for stroke, heart failure, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, and kidney disease.
Fisher said that for more than a decade Ocean’s Flavor has answered the call from government agencies, public health and consumer organizations, health professionals, the health insurance industry and the food industry “to reduce the sodium content in our food supply, and support consumers in reducing sodium intake and make healthier choices without compromising taste.” Ocean’s Flavor’s featured sea salt shaker contains 57% less sodium than ordinary table salt.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,700 retail units under 59 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine's 2010 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
For more information about the initiative, visit: http://www.walmartstores.com/healthierfoods.
About Ocean’s Flavor
Ocean's Flavor Natural Less Sodium Sea Salts has become a global leader in the food industry, producing and distributing low sodium all natural sea salts. They produce natural low sodium salt to the makers of soups, vegetables, seasonings, frozen foods, red and white meat processors, and many other international operations. Ocean's Flavor continues to develop its brand and product line, focusing on the organization's founding principle: deliver quality sea salt that is natural, healthy and tasty. Their expanding line of natural sea salts can be found in many varied food products as quality food industry companies pursue lower sodium salts as ingredients in their global products. Please visit http://www.oceansflavor.com.