Local construction workers, contractors, lifeguards, and other professions that require employees to work outdoors in the heat should not forget to stay hydrated while working in these conditions.
Houston, Texas (PRWEB) July 25, 2012
Texas-based insurance agency, Highpoint Insurance Group, provides tips to those working in the sweltering heat this summer. Local construction workers, contractors, lifeguards, and other professions that require employees to work outdoors in the heat should not forget to stay hydrated while working in these conditions. As a provider of Texas business insurance and workers compensation, the agency feels the need to address the dangers of working in the heat.
According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), thousands of workers become sick from exposure to heat and dehydration while on the job. In some cases, death may be the outcome. OSHA has come up with a simple solution to this preventable issue: water, rest and shade. Workers who remember these three words may be able to avoid the worst case scenario this summer season.
Here are a few more rules to follow:
- Employers must supply a sufficient amount of cool water to their employees.
- Employees should be encouraged to drink at least 4 to 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes or so.
- Employees should take frequent rest breaks to avoid overheating.
- Sports drinks are a good alternative to water, but avoid drinking soda, caffeinated drinks or alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid tackling a large workload on the hottest days.
- Employers should keep an eye on employees (watch for dizziness, slow movers, exhaustion, etc.)
- Avoid wearing dark clothing while working outdoors because dark colors attract heat.
It is important that all local workers follow the tips listed above. Staying healthy and safe while working in the heat will help ensure that companies will have fewer Texas business insurance and workers compensation claims to file. Nonetheless, the agents at Highpoint Insurance Group are dedicated to helping protect businesses with the proper coverage in the event of an injury or accident on the job site. The agency wishes for all Texas workers to stay cool and stay healthy this summer!
About Highpoint Insurance Group:
Highpoint Insurance Group is an independent Texas insurance agency founded on the guiding principles of integrity, honesty and taking a leadership role in the community. The agency strives to offer the highest quality customer service, and take pride in creating long standing relationships with each and every client. With Highpoint Insurance Group each client is actually presented with choices. The agency represents many companies and has the ability to customize each client’s coverage. Highpoint Insurance Group is on your side when it comes to finding the best commercial insurance from Dallas to Houston!