As part of a RCN consumer’s video subscription, which includes all Olympic television content, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to subscribers live and on-demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications.
Princeton, NJ (PRWEB) July 26, 2012
RCN, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal’s coverage of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games to commence on Wednesday, July 25 through Sunday, August 12. Designed to provide video subscribers with access to NBCUniversal’s more than 5,535 hours of unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. RCN will offer NBCUniversal’s Olympic content live and on-demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms, and for the first time ever, 242 hours of the Games will be available in 3D.
“We are excited to bring our customers NBCUniversal’s 5,535 hours of unprecedented multiplatform coverage of the 2012 London Olympics,” said Chris Fenger, SVP Operations, RCN Telecom Services, LLC., Corporate. “Access via RCN HD, on demand, and high speed Internet services maximizes the NBCUniversal Olympic viewing experience for our subscribers.”
In addition to extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo, two HD specialty channels and a 3D channel, subscribers can stay connected to the London Summer Olympic Games wherever they go exclusively via NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Olympics and NBC Olympics Live Extra apps on mobile and tablet devices.
As part of a RCN consumer’s video subscription, which includes all Olympic television content, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to subscribers live and on-demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications. This additional access to NBCUniversal’s Olympic programming extends RCN customers’ opportunities to watch the Games wherever they are.
Following are multiplatform offerings that will allow RCN customers to watch and be a part of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games, including live streaming, VOD, mobile and tablet apps, and a 3D channel.
NBCUniversal’s Olympics Experience on RCN Includes:
- NBCOlympics.com: NBC Olympics Live Extra, the exclusive home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes CNBC and MSNBC and who sign-in. NBCOlympics.com will live stream more than 3,500 total programming hours from NBCUniversal networks, including NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo, for the first time ever, so that RCN customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers who sign in and verify their subscriptions by Friday, July 27 can enter the NBC Olympics Live Extra Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, an HDTV, and other prizes, courtesy of NBCUniversal. RCN customers should follow these verification procedures to access Olympic programming via NBCOlympics.com:
1. Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
2. Click the “Click here & Get Ready” button
3. Select RCN
4. Enter the username and password that corresponds with your RCN account
5. You are signed in throughout the Games on that device!
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Olympics Live Extra app will be available to verified RCN customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra.. The NBC Olympics app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more and will also link to the NBC Olympics Live Extra app.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via RCN’s Video-On-Demand service. See U.S. athletes compete in Diving, Gymnastics, Swimming, and Track & Field with over 100 highlights covering the U.S. Trials.
Pre-Games: Viewers can access more than 120, 4-8 minute clips available in SD and HD.
In Games: NBCU will offer more than 550 highlight clips, in addition to 240 full-length event replays, available within 24 hours of the event completion, all in HD and SD.
- 3D: Panasonic Corporation of North America and the NBC Sports Group have partnered to make the London 2012 Olympic Games available in 3D to RCN customers. The effort will produce 242 hours of coverage and mark the first time that the Olympic Games will be distributed in the U.S. in 3D. The 3D broadcasts will be shown on next-day delay and will span multiple competitions throughout the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games.
Specialty Channels: Dedicated 24/7 basketball and soccer channels are available to RCN customers, and will total 770 hours of NBC’s HD coverage.
Olympics 3D - Channel 1475 in Lehigh Valley; Channel 740 in All other Markets
Olympics on Demand - Channel 1476 in Lehigh Valley; Channel 740 in All other Markets
Olympics Basketball HD - Channel 1477 in Lehigh Valley; Channel 742 All other Markets
Olympics Soccer HD - Channel 1478 in Lehigh Valley; Channel 743 in All other Markets
The 2012 London Olympic Summer Games will run throughout 19 unforgettable days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion and riveting moment. For more information, visit http://www.NBCOlympics.com and call 800.RING.RCN to learn more about the offerings available within your local area to maximize your NBCUniversal Olympic viewing experience.
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was “the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network.”
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
RCN Telecom Services, LLC (http://www.rcn.com) is a privately-held competitive broadband services provider delivering all-digital and high-definition video, high-speed internet and premium phone services to residential and small-medium business customers. RCN's primary service areas include Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Lehigh Valley (PA), New York City, Boston and Chicago.
RCN Corporate Manager of Marketing:
Vanessa Perry, (609) 452-2543, Vanessa(dot)perry(at)rcn(dot)net
NBCUniversal Content Distribution Media Contacts:
Christine Reisner, (201) 735-3637, Christine(dot)Reisner(at)nbcuni(dot)com