(PRWEB) July 31, 2012
With a fresh school year right around the corner, kids will be responsible for learning new skills. A new pet, such as a betta fish, is a great way to teach children about responsibility while teaching them what it means to be a pet parent. Bonding with their bright, colorful and charismatic friend can liven up any homework desk as the school year begins. Petco™’s “Meet the Critters” event on August 18-19, 2012 from 1-2 p.m. will showcase the betta fish to help attendees learn more about this multi-faceted fish and whether it’s right for their home this school year.
During the two-day, family-friendly “Meet the Critters” event, attendees can tour the Petco Zoo, which displays the variety of colors and patterns bettas come in, as well as the many accessories that can be used to create a personalized betta habitat. On their tour, guests will also learn fun facts about betta fish, such as:
- Bettas recognize their owners and will actually learn faces!
- Male betta fish will build bubble nests when they’re happy.
- They love to have lots of colorful plants and accessories in their habitats; silk plants are the best choice because they do not cause tearing to a betta’s delicate fins.
- The betta is a native freshwater fish from Thailand and Cambodia where they are known to live in rice patties.
- Bettas are anabantoids, which means they can breathe atmospheric air thanks to a unique organ called the labyrinth. This is one characteristic that makes them such hardy fish.
Once guests have narrowed down the accessories for their betta fish habitat, they are encouraged to take pictures of their new pet and upload to http://www.facebook.com/petco. The site will host a Betta Photo Contest from August 13 through August 26, 2012 to give children a chance to show off their very own betta habitat.
For more information on Petco’s “Meet the Critters” events visit http://www.petco.com/kids.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,100 stores nationwide, including more than 30 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $90 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,500 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.