"Network members are helping to raise the performance level for themselves and their local competitors."
Appleton, WI (PRWEB) August 02, 2012
The Healthcare Value Network’s efforts to spread peer-to-peer learning around lean principles and patient-centered care seem to be paying off. Four of the top seven Hospital Referral Regions ranked earlier this year by The Commonwealth Fund are home to Network members.
- Dubuque, Iowa (ranked #2) – Iowa Health System-Finley Hospital
- Minneapolis, Minn. (ranked #4) – Park Nicollet Health Services
- Appleton, Wis. (ranked #5) – ThedaCare
- La Crosse, Wis. (ranked #7) – Gundersen Lutheran Health System
“The idea behind the Network is to share care models that lead to value-based competition. The HRR rankings are a good indication that our approach is working,” said John Toussaint, MD, CEO of the ThedaCare Center for Healthcare Value, which oversees the Network. “Markets that apply lean principles, like Network members do, are drastically outperforming areas where lean thinking is absent.”
DEFINING HOSPITAL REFERRAL REGIONS
Hospital Referral Regions, or HRRs, are 306 geographic regions across the nation. They are defined based on where Medicare beneficiaries travel for major cardiovascular and neurological surgical procedures. The HRR names reflect the location (city or town) of the region’s primary referral hospital. The rankings are tied to the geographic location, not any particular healthcare organization.
Together with the four systems already named, Network member locations make up approximately one third of the top 30 regions highlighted by The Commonwealth Fund.
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa (#11) – Mercy Medical Center
- Neenah, Wis. (#14) – ThedaCare
- Portland, Maine (#18) – Martin’s Point Health Care
- Hartford, Conn. (#18) – St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center
- Des Moines, Iowa (#27) – Iowa Health System
- Falls Church, Va. (a suburb of Arlington, VA) (#15) – Inova Health System
- York, Pa. (approximately 30 miles from Lancaster, PA) (#12) – WellSpan Office Center
“To see the towns of so many of our members recognized as true Destinations of Care is a confirmation that we’re moving in the right direction,” said Dr. Toussaint. “Network members are helping to raise the performance level for themselves and their local competitors. We look forward to continuing our improvement toward delivering better patient value.”
The Healthcare Value Network unites healthcare leaders who share a commitment to providing high-quality, cost-effective care through the application of lean concepts. The ThedaCare Center for Healthcare Value brings together the most thoughtful leaders in business and healthcare to drive value-based healthcare.