Utica, NY (PRWEB) August 02, 2012
A new IBOPE Inteligência poll finds that one in five adults (23%) feel less safe in theaters following The Dark Knight Rises shootings in Aurora, Colorado, and 8% say they have avoided going to the movies because of the incident.
The poll also tested opinions about gun control in light of the nation’s latest mass shooting and finds 63% disagree that stronger laws may have prevented the attack, yet Sixty-one percent favor laws making it more difficult to buy armaments online. Nearly two-thirds say it is unlikely the movie shootings will lead to significant new laws controlling guns and other armaments.
This IBOPE Inteligência online survey of 2,128 US adults was conducted from July 27-31. Here are more details:
- A total of 45% either strongly agree (12%) or somewhat agree (33%) more security should be used at showings of The Dark Knight Rises, while 46% either strongly disagree (21%) or somewhat disagree (25%).
- A rounded total of 23% feel either much less safe (4%) or somewhat less safe (18%) in theaters due to these latest shootings, while 60% say it makes no difference. The remainder either does not go to movies (16%) or are not sure (1%).
- A total of 63% either strongly disagree (49%) or somewhat disagree (14%) that stronger laws may have prevented these theater shootings, while a total of 34% either strongly agree (19%) or somewhat agree (15%).
- When it comes to making it more difficult to purchase weapons, body armor and explosives such as the $150,000 worth of such that police say Holmes bought online, a total of 61% either strongly agree (39%) or somewhat agree (22%) laws should be changed. A total of 37% either strongly disagree (25%) or somewhat disagree (12%).
- A total of 62% say it is either very unlikely or somewhat unlikely the Colorado shootings will lead to significant new gun laws, while 33% say it is either very likely (9%) or somewhat likely (24%).
The margin of error is +/- 2.2 percentage points. A sampling of IBOPE Inteligência's online panel, which is representative of the adult population of the US, was invited to participate. Slight weights were added to region, party, age, race, religion, gender and education to more accurately reflect the population.
ABOUT IBOPE Inteligência
IBOPE Inteligência, formerly IBOPE Zogby International, is a non-partisan, premier global public opinion polling and market research firm that offers timely, accurate results and in-depth analysis and insights. IBOPE Inteligência works with issue experts in a vast array of fields including healthcare, technology, finance, insurance, energy, agriculture, public affairs, and media who offer insightful data analysis and exceptional service to clients in countries throughout the world. IBOPE Inteligência experts analyze data and work with clients to develop and implement new strategies, and offer customized and attractive solutions to challenges our clients face. IBOPE Inteligência is a subsidiary of the IBOPE Group of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Please visit http://www.ibopeinteligencia.com for more information on IBOPE Inteligência. Follow us on Twitter: @Ibopeintel
About IBOPE Group
IBOPE Group is a Brazilian multinational company specializing in media, market and opinion research with offices in the United States and 14 Latin American countries. Since its founding 70 years ago, it has been providing a wide range of information and studies on media, public opinion, voting patterns, consumption habits, branding and market behavior.
For more information on IBOPE Group, please visit http://www.IBOPE.com.