Albany, NY (PRWEB) August 07, 2012
Excelsior College today announced the launch of a new webinar series for military servicemembers and veterans. The series, presented by the College’s Center for Military Education, is entitled “You’re Back, What’s Next” and will focus on specific educational issues impacting servicemembers and veterans.
The first webinar, “Using Your Post-9/11 G.I. Bill Benefits,” is scheduled for August 15 at 7 p.m. eastern and will include financial aid/veterans affairs specialists from Excelsior College and Howard Community College as well as the New York education liaison from the Department of Veteran Affairs. Panelists will provide a rundown of the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and answer frequently asked questions. In addition, two veterans on a path to degree completion will discuss their experiences and how they overcame challenges and discovered positives in both the college application and VA qualification process.
To register, interested individuals can visit http://ecveterans.eventbrite.com/. Registrants will receive log-in instructions via e-mail.
What: Webinar – Using Your Post-9/11 G.I. Bill Benefits
Who: Excelsior College, Howard Community College, New York education liaison from Department of Veteran Affairs
When: Wednesday, August 15, 7 p.m. eastern
Excelsior College, established in 1971, has a long and successful history of providing education to veterans and servicemembers. The College has an extensive range of support services tailored to veterans, including financial counseling on veteran benefits and other financial aid, and academic advisors who are veterans themselves. The College offers a range of academic support programs and career counseling services tailored to veterans and servicemembers.
Of this year’s 5,184 graduates, 34 percent were members of the U.S. military.
In November 2011, the College was named by Military Times Edge magazine as a top school for veterans, and has been repeatedly named a top "military friendly" school by GIJobs magazine.
Excelsior College was named, for the second year in a row, a “Best for Vets” college by Military Times Magazine.
Excelsior College's education credentials include:
- Excelsior's course, "Success Strategies for Military and Veterans" earned the 2010-2011 Innovation Award from the Center for Transforming Student Services (CENTSS). The course provides college and career orientation to veterans and military members and teaches transition strategies for those entering the civilian workforce after a military career.
- Excelsior is a recipient of the Council of College and Military Educators’ (CCME) Institutional Award.
- Excelsior's military academic advising team includes veterans who are uniquely attuned to the unique needs of military students, veterans, and their spouses.
- Susan Dewan, executive director of Excelsior's Center for Military Education is the recipient of the 2011 William E. Kennedy Award from the Council of College and Military Educators (CCME), which recognizes leadership in providing higher education programs to personnel at U.S. military installations.
- Excelsior President Ebersole is a U.S. Coast Guard veteran who served in Vietnam and received the Secretary of the Army Public Service Award in 2010 for his leadership in contributing to the Army's educational mission.
About Excelsior College
Excelsior College http://www.excelsior.edu is a regionally accredited, nonprofit distance learning institution that focuses on removing obstacles to the educational goals of adult learners. Founded in 1971 and located in Albany, NY, Excelsior is a proven leader in the assessment and validation of student knowledge. It offers more efficient and affordable access to degree completion through multiple avenues: its own online courses and college-level proficiency examinations, and the acceptance in transfer of credit from other colleges and universities as well as recognized corporate and military training programs. Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.