Arlington, VA (PRWEB) August 09, 2012
uKnowKids, a leading child safety company announced today the release of “SWAT-ting: Inside a New Trend in Cyber Crime” the fourth of a series of infographics that addresses a new rising trend. SWAT-ting is an attempt to trick an emergency service into dispatching an emergency response team. Internet and Mobile Safety expert Tim Woda stated “many SWAT-ters use a service like Spoofcard to disguise the origin of the prank call which allows them to change their voice and add background sound effects. Many teens who engage in online gaming, chat rooms or social media may be at risk. Miley Cyrus and a few politicians have already been victims of this vengeful act.”
As part of its commitment to keeping children safe and update parents with pertinent information, uKnowKids has designed a campaign to inform parents of the importance of teaching kids the repercussions that come with SWAT-ting. Woda wants to ensure that kids understand that “certain calls could cost law enforcement up to $10,000 and that legislators are currently working on a law that will make SWAT-ting a four-year felony.”
Tim Woda provides the following tips on preventing SWAT-ting for parents:
- Educate yourself and your children about SWAT-ting and its repercussions
- Communicate with your child about the severity of this so-called “prank” and others
- Check computers, laptops and tablets for suspicious programs or applications
- Encourage your child to come straight to you if they believe someone is targeting your family
- If you believe you are being targeted: report any suspicious activity
- Encourage your child to avoid trash talking or "trolling" online and while playing video games (which can lead to SWAT-ting)
- Use a Parental Intelligence System: A parent can't have eyes on everything all the time - nor do they want to: uKnowKids will alert parents to potentially risky situations (like SWAT-ting)
To establish child safety this coming school year, uKnowKids will be featuring a new infographic each week. Stay tuned for our next infographic on “Social Media Decoded.”
Please note that website bloggers can copy the infographic onto their own site and share with friends and readers by downloading here: http://info.uknowkids.com/swat-ting-inside-a-new-trend-in-cyber-crime
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Arlington, VA., uKnow.com is the only company that offers a parental intelligence system available for both private-label and consumer use. The company powers the world’s leading Parental Intelligence Systems including uKnowKids.com, KidSafe.me, SafeCyberKids.com, SocialFirefly.com, aBeanstalk.com, MySocialScout.net, and p911Safety.com, among others.
uKnow.com works with companies and organizations to help parents protect their kids from child predators, sexting, and cyberbullying with a special focus on social networks and mobile phone. uKnow.com’s technology provides parents with a bird’s eye view of what is going on in their child’s digital world so that they can keep their finger on the pulse, and when necessary, take action to protect the safety and privacy of their kids. You can find uKnow.com on Twitter at twitter.com/uKnow_com, on Facebook at facebook.com/uKnow.com, and on their Parenting Blog.