Each new partnership represents an opportunity to support and develop palliative care expertise and services in sub-Saharan Africa.
Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) August 16, 2012
Seven new partnerships have been formed between hospice and palliative care organizations in Africa and the U.S. as part of FHSSA’s “One Cause, Two Continents” campaign to raise awareness about the Partnership program. This includes the first partnership in Botswana which brings the reach of FHSSA to 14 African countries. These partners join more than 90 other FHSSA Partnerships.
“Each new partnership represents an opportunity to support and develop palliative care expertise and services in sub-Saharan Africa. The training and experiences our African partners receive plant the seeds for many more to learn from them as they become mentors themselves,” said John Mastrojohn, executive director of FHSSA.
The new partners are:
- Kaiser Permanente Oakland Hospice of Oakland, CA and Laikipia Palliative Care Center in Kenya
- Susquehanna Hospice of Williamsport, PA and Shirati Hospital Palliative Care in Tanzania
- Tucson Medical Center Hospice of Tucson, AZ and Rwanda Palliative Care Center in Rwanda
- Providence Hospice of Portland, OR and Ngora Hospice in Uganda
- Sangre de Cristo Hospice of Pueblo, CO and Arebaokeng Hospice in South Africa
- The Haslinger Family Palliative Care Center at Akron Children’s Hospital and Garissa Provincial General Hospital Paediatric Palliative Care Program in Kenya
- Hospice of Chatanooga, Inc. of Chatanooga, TN and Pabalelong Hospice in Botswana
The Partnership program, created in 1999, pairs U.S. hospice and palliative care organizations with African programs offering palliative care with the goal that the two organizations will share ideas, information and best practices and that the African programs will gain technical assistance, support, and most importantly, friendship. This program is at the core of FHSSA’s vision of a world where individuals and families facing serious illness, death, and grief will experience the best that humankind can offer.
To learn more about FHSSA and its partnership program, visit: http://www.fhssa.org