International Accreditation Organization: Leadership is Key to College Accreditation

Share Article

As City College of San Francisco faces closure, International Accreditation Organization emphasizes the importance of leadership in college accreditation, as proper accreditation processes can reduce the challenges that educational institutions face.

The Huffington Post reports that City College of San Francisco is facing the possibility of closure and loss of accreditation due to “money management issues.” International Accreditation Organization (IAO) asserts that leadership regarding accreditation may prevent other schools from suffering similar obstacles—and may assist City College in retaining its accreditation.

According to the article, City College of San Francisco is the largest college in California. The school has an enrollment class that exceeds 90,000 students and is struggling to create an action plan to maintain its accreditation. The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges sent the school a letter threatening to revoke accreditation due to “leadership weaknesses at all levels” that, presumably, have resulted in money management problems.

To avoid closure in March of 2013, City College must “show cause” through a plan to improve leadership by October 15. Leadership is a key part of accreditation because it plays such a significant role in the success of an educational organization. Without proper leadership, schools would begin to fail at all aspects of daily activity, from financial management to scheduling to the execution of new initiatives. In fact, the report released by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges cites several of these issues: “insufficient administrative staff size and experience level, an insufficient funding base, a failure to conduct audits and provide reports in a timely manner and a failure to address deficiencies noted by the commission in 2006.”

The report shows just how serious the college’s financial issues are, as it asserts that 92 percent of the organization’s budget is spent on the salaries and benefits of faculty members. The remaining 8 percent is not enough to cover the other operational and maintenance costs incurred by the school.

In a recent press statement, International Accreditation Organization asserts: “Quality leadership, along with other vital organizational performance parameters, such as financial resource management and administration, are key to maintaining high standards in the academic world. IAO reviews these aspects as well as a host of other performance areas to ensure that an institution is committed to and capable of establishing and maintaining those standards. Large academic institutions, such as City College of San Francisco, ought to establish ‘globally recognized’ educational standards and seek international accreditation to secure a bright future for their students.”

IAO encourages all schools to seek international accreditation, as it is the best way to ensure that they stand up to the expectations and standards of both domestic and international students.

ABOUT:

International Accreditation Organization aims to supply standardized accreditation guidelines to educational organizations around the world. Committed to equal educational standards, International Accreditation Organization employs a patented Points Profile system to compare all applicants utilizing the same criteria. International Accreditation Organization has multiple international offices and is devoted to offering a standardized accreditation technique that facilitates the comparison of schools in an increasingly large global community.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Michael McGarety
PR Authority
800-475-2390
Email >