San Antonio, TX (PRWEB) August 24, 2012
As the record breaking heat wave continues across the country, consumers are looking to cool down but not at the expense of higher energy bills.
Consert, a San Antonio-based intelligent energy management company that provides the most advanced high-value load management suite available in the marketplace, offers the following tips for homeowners to save money and the planet without sacrificing comfort.
1. Let the air conditioner rest while you are at work: An air conditioner represents about half of the electric bill during summer months. Turning off the A/C system completely when you leave the house makes the unit work twice as hard to cool your home back down upon your return. However, raising the temperature in your home in the heat of summer when no one is at home will conserve energy and lower costs.
Consert is currently working with utilities nationwide to install home energy management systems, which allow consumers to conserve energy and save money as they manage their energy usage online.
Other ways you can beat the heat and save money with the A/C system:
- Have regular, professional maintenance performed on your A/C system at least once a year, especially prior to summer when the unit works the hardest and you need it the most.
- Change your A/C filter once a month. A good way to remember is to change it when you receive your electric bill.
- Make sure your outside A/C unit has plenty of breathing space. Avoid enclosing or covering the unit and keep plants and other vegetation at least 18 inches away.
- Do a visual inspection of A/C ducts to make sure they are sealed properly and not leaking.
- Contact your utility to ask about an energy audit for your home.
2. Decrease hidden costs that are underwater: We tend to forget that electric water heaters are a major energy consuming device in our home. Electric water heaters can account for 14 to 25 percent of an electric bill.
Some quick tips to save and conserve are:
- Reduce shower time
- Check for leaky faucets and pipes inside and outside
- Limit running water when washing the dishes or brushing your teeth
- Lower the water temperature
- Insulate your water heater tank and hot water pipes
- Turn off your electric water heater when you don’t need it
Homeowners can monitor and control their water heater’s electrical use with Consert’s energy management program and can set personalized profiles that reduce electricity usage without any loss of comfort.
3. Dip into the pool not your wallet: Saving energy and still maintaining a comfortable swimming pool temperature can be as easy as using a smaller, higher efficiency pump and by operating it less. In a study of 120 pools by the Center for Energy Conservation at Florida Atlantic University, some pool owners saved as much as 75 percent of their original pumping bill when they implemented energy conservation measures. You can do the same by taking into account the following:
- The larger the pump, the greater your operation and maintenance costs - so you’ll want to use the smallest size pump possible for your swimming pool.
- Pool pumps often run much longer than necessary. Reduce the operating time of your pool filter and automatic cleaning sweep to only four or five hours.
- Make sure the intake grates are always debris-free.
On average, homeowners who use Consert technology to monitor and manage their major energy consuming devices such as heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and pool pumps save 15 to 20 percent on their electric bill. Consert’s energy management program provides the ability for consumers to take control of energy usage based on lifestyle and realize the potential of double-digit reduction in energy use without any loss of comfort, which ultimately will lead to greater utility bill savings and a reduced impact on the environment.
About Consert Inc.
Consert Inc. is an intelligent load management technology company that provides the most advanced high-value load management suite available in the marketplace. Consert’s Virtual Peak PlantTM load management system is the only solution proven to provide reliable, real-time, fully-integrated load management through the pairing of utility and consumer offerings. Consert, recent winner of a CTIA E-Tech Award and CS Week Expanding Excellence Award and the recipient of the 2012 Going Green Award in the Leadership Private Sector category by the San Antonio Business Journal, is a partner with Hometown Connections and Texas Electric Cooperatives and is a member of the Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative. A demonstration of the application as used by a residential consumer can be viewed at http://bit.ly/ConsertAtHome. For more information, visit Consert.com. Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/consert. Follow us on Twitter @Consert Inc.