UK (PRWEB UK) 25 August 2012
As the UK’s largest online cruise travel agent, http://www.cruise.co.uk is used to making big statements about its cruise business and the purchase of http://www.cruises.co for over $80,000 this month heralds a new venture for the business in 2013. The cost, whilst no where near as much as the $1m paid for the “s” in cruises.co.uk four years ago by the company, is still the highest amount paid for any new .co domain, released just two years ago – showing the increasing importance of second level domains to companies looking to maximize the brand online.
Top 10 .co domain purchases Top 10 .com purchases
1. Cruises.co $81,000 1. Insure.com $16,000,000
2. taobao.co $31,500 2. Sex.com $12-$14,000,000
3. vehicles.co $18,500 3. Fund.com $9,900,000
4. unity.co $12,500 4. Porn.com $9,500,000
5. shipping.co $11,000 5. Business.com $7,500,000
6. caribbean.co $10,610 6. Diamond.com $7,500,000
7. bankers.co $10,000 7. Beer.com $7,000,000
8. paydayloans.co $9,375 8. Israel.com $5,800,000
9. chi.co $7,110 9. Casino.com $5,500,000
10. paydayloan.co $6,425 10. Toys.com $5,100,000
Table: Samples of domain names and prices paid in recent years
Cruises.co will sit firmly in a portfolio of domain names, including http://www.cruise.co.uk, http://www.cruises.co.uk and http://www.rivercruises.co.uk, as well as http://www.cruise.co which was purchased two years ago. This latest purchase comes just four years after Carnival Corporation sold Cruise.co.uk back to Andrew Gardner and Seamus Conlon, and coincided with the company paying the highest recorded UK price for a domain with the acquisition of http://www.cruises.co.uk for £560,000.
Compared to the next highest recorded prices for UK based .co.uk domains:
- Recycle.co.uk - £150,000
- Ink.co.uk - £130,425
- Mobile.co.uk - £120,000
- Taste.co.uk - £110,000
Commenting on this latest addition, Seamus Conlon, Managing Director of Cruise.co.uk said, “People may have thought that we were crazy in spending so much money on the purchase of http://www.cruises.co.uk but it has certainly paid for itself as it is now the largest cruise community in the UK.
“As the Internet develops further, it’s becoming more and more important to have the right URLs and that’s why we have invested in cruises.co. We also wanted a non-country specific URL for our future development plans. We need to make sure that we have control of this URL to ensure consistency across our brand and maintain our number one rating on Google across the various sites.”
Words: 355 words
Image available - please email if you would like a copy of a graphic relating to this item.
http://www.CRUISE.co.uk is the UK’s leading cruise community with over 119,265 cruise opinions and 180,190 cruise questions and answers.
- http://www.CRUISE.co.uk provides LIVE pricing and availability on its website for the majority of the UK’s favourite cruise lines.
- Four successive wins as best European cruise travel agent
- Three times the winner of the best cruise travel agent in the world.
For more information please contact:
Sukie Rapal –Marketing Director, http://www.cruise.co.uk
Tel: 07737 189083
Tel: 07739 142219