Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) August 28, 2012
Urban Outfitters has collaborated with Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and Philadelphia University on a limited edition collection for Fall 2012. Designed By: RISD and Philadelphia University began as a project that partnered apparel design seniors from RISD and textile design students from Philadelphia University with Urban Outfitters in a real-life design challenge. Each student was instructed to design a capsule collection that is infused with their personal style and the Urban Outfitters customer in mind. Under the aid and mentorship of Urban Outfitters Director of Concept and Trend, Marissa Maximo, the emerging designers created an inspiring range to be sold at select Urban Outfitters stores and urbanoutfitters.com. “It is one of Urban Outfitters' initiatives to be a creative incubator for young and aspiring talent,” says Maximo. “We've made an ongoing effort to focus on students and through collaborating with their schools, we can help them gain valuable experience while also creating product that connects to our customers and compliments the brand,” she adds.
September sees the launch of Designed by: RISD and Philadelphia University. To celebrate, UO will host a live preview during Fashion’s Night Out at their 628 Broadway store on September 6th at 5pm. Guests will have the opportunity to meet the designers and view the collection first hand while enjoying the many festivities planned for the evening. To further show our design school spirit we are encouraging students and aspiring designers to participate in an on-site sketch design competition for a chance to win a collaboration with Urban Outfitters for Fall 2013. Designs will be judged by industry professionals: Stylist Doria Santlofer, Designer Katie Gallagher (RISD ‘09), Fashion Director of Dossier Journal Polina Aronova and Urban Outfitters’ Director of Concept and Trend Marissa Maximo (RISD ‘95). The event will also feature live music performances by Maria Minerva and Icona Pop, a DJ set by Mike Simonetti (Italians Do It Better), complimentary drinks by Open Bar Hospitality and more.
Meet the Designers:
- Emily Shaw (RISD Apparel Design 2012): Looking toward a decade near and dear to her heart, designer Emily Shaw drew on music, idols and personal memories of the ‘90s, weaving them into her collection – one designed for free spirits and independent minds.
- Amanda Goss (RISD Apparel Design 2012): Amanda Goss has devoted countless studio hours to her dream of working as a women’s ready-to-wear designer in NYC. Now in her final year at RISD, this is her first commercially-available collection.
- Helen Wu (RISD Apparel Design 2012): Drawing inspiration from geology and the natural environment, designer Helen Wu’s collection is driven by her desire to communicate an overall sense and feeling, one underscored by a focus on material quality.
- Marjan Gartland (Philadelphia University): Marjan Osman Gartland is a textile designer based in Philadelphia. She is the winner of the Urban Outfitters print competition, her design for the Cooperative brand is inspired by simple, classic lines with a modern touch.
- Adrienne Larsen (Philadelphia University): Adrienne Larsen is originally from northern Minnesota and has the accent to prove it. She is currently studying Textile Engineering at Philadelphia University. Before that, she worked as a costume technician all over the United States, using her theatre degree from North Dakota State University in Fargo. Her work can also be found in the Fall 2011 and Summer 2012 issues of Interweave Knits. 1990’s grunge fashion and the mohair sweaters of Kurt Cobain were a major influence in this project. Also influential were antique woven rugs, which lent geometry and color to the design. For the young girl on the go, comfort and coziness were held paramount.
Urban Outfitters Designed By: RISD and Philadelphia University is available this fall at select Urban Outfitters stores and urbanoutfitters.com. For more information contact Crystal Carroll at ccarroll(at)urbanoutfitters(dot)com .