New York, New York (PRWEB) August 31, 2012
New York employment lawyer Marc Rapaport reacted to Mitt Romney's acceptance speech at last night's Republican Party Convention with deep skepticism and disappointment. According to Rapaport, Romney's claim that he seeks to promote economic prosperity for American families is belied by Romney's actual positions and policies, which overwhelmingly benefit large corporations at the expense of American workers. Rapaport observed that both Romney and the Republican Party have opposed any expansion of America's minimum wage laws and overtime protections. According to Rapaport, "the wealthiest 1% of Americans would reap enormous gains if Romney gets elected. The other 99%, not so much."
Romney's acceptance speech during last night's Republican Convention gave no hint of his longstanding opposition to employees' rights. Romney promised that if elected, he would restore economic prosperity and hope for the millions of Americans who have suffered financial devastation due to the economic crisis which began during the Bush Administration. Among other lofty promises, Romney stated, "My promise is to help you and your family." Romney noted that American families are increasingly pressured by higher prices for basic commodities such as gas and food.
In actuality, Romney has opposed even modest wage and employment measures proposed by legislatures to provide relief for the middle class. According to Rapaport, "both as Governor of Massachusetts and during his presidential campaign, Mitt Romney has been a stalwart opponent of any increase in the minimum wage. In fact, as Governor, Romney actually vetoed a bill to raise the minimum wage in Massachusetts."
This spring, Romney told CNBC, "There's probably not a need to raise the minimum wage."
Rapaport suspects that, "Romney's lofty rhetoric is intended to detract from the stark reality that the policies and positions advocated by Romney and the Republican Party benefit corporations at the expense of working families." According to Rapaport, the Republican Party Platform is virtually bereft of any mention of employees' rights and wage laws. Rapaport fears that a Romney administration would wreak financial devastation for many employees, and facilitate the Republican's Party's agenda of diminishing financial and legal protections of employees.
Marc Rapaport is a New York employment lawyer with 18 years of experience advocating for employees who have suffered from discrimination, unpaid wages, and overtime violations in New York and New Jersey. Mr. Rapaport is the founder and Managing Member of Rapaport Law Firm, PLLC, a full-service employment law firm based in Manhattan's Empire State Building.