Protect Your Bubble takes a look at some ways a smartphone owner and the phone more secure.
ATLANTA, Ga. (PRWEB) September 03, 2012
Smartphones are increasingly linked directly to the owner’s private life. That includes access to bank accounts, social media and private information. Protect Your Bubble takes a look at some ways a smartphone owner and the phone more secure.
The security risk is very real. A computer security firm “lost” 50 smartphones around the US and Canada recently to see what would happen. What happened is frightening:
- 57 percent checked a file named “saved passwords”
- 60 percent checked the “owner’s” social media and email
- 72 percent tried to look at private photos
- 43 percent attempted to use an application “online banking”
Even more disconcerting, only 50 percent of the people attempted to return the phone despite the “owner’s” name being listed in the contact information. Here are the top tips to soften the headache:
1. Have a complicated password to access the phone’s features. Do not use a birthday, address or other personal information. Passwords should be changed often. It may seem tough to remember, but it’s worth the effort.
2. Install security software. A smartphone should be treated just like a home computer. Security software sweeps the phone for viruses, spyware and malware. Check weekly for updates to the security software and download them when available.
3. Report a lost or stolen phone immediately to law enforcement. Then, get a copy of the report as soon as possible. In the meantime, place a 90-day fraud alert on credit reports with the three credit reporting agencies, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. This is free. File a fraud affidavit with the Federal Trade Commission, which is also free.
4. Purchase Gadget Insurance. Sadly, there is no app to prevent a smartphone from being lost or stolen. But, ProtecYourBubble.com’s mobile gadget insurance covers lost, stolen, and broken smartphones and provides 24-hour replacement on the devices.
About Protect Your Bubble
Protect Your Bubble is a specialty insurance brand, offering insurance for gadgets, pets and
travel - all for today’s modern consumer.
- Gadget - Smartphone and tablet insurance covers loss, theft and water damage and consumers will receive a replacement device in 24 hours. Home gadget warranties provide coverage for mechanical breakdown and accidental damage for laptops, game consoles and cameras as well as mechanical breakdown for appliances, televisions, desktop computers, home theater systems and more.
- Travel - Plans provide a variety of coverage for single and multi-trip options including cancellation, interruption, medical/dental, baggage, rental car and much more like 24/7 emergency services including, consult a doctor, roadside assistance, restaurant reservations and even set up tee times through their concierge services.
- Pet - Plans provide up to 90 percent reimbursement for covered vet charges for eligible accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and routine wellness visits. They allow owners to visit any licensed vet in the country. Additionally, annual deductible options start at $100 which only needs to be met once per plan year.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Protect Your Bubble is available online, via mobile app or phone, allowing consumers to understand, buy and, most importantly, protect what enriches their lives. Find Protect Your Bubble USA on Facebook or Twitter (@PYBUSA) or visit http://www.protectyourbubble.com for more information or to get a two-minute quote today.
Protect Your Bubble USA