San Diego, CA (PRWEB) September 04, 2012
As National Dog Week approaches on September 24-30, 2012, Petco is helping unite shelter pets with loving homes. Petco, who works with over 7,000 local animal-welfare partners to find homes for more than 250,000 animals every year through in-store adoption events, is encouraging anyone looking to add a new pet to their family to consider the life saving gift of adoption. Pets of all ages make a great addition to any family and can provide plenty of advantages to their owners. Find the perfect pet in time to celebrate National Dog Week during Petco’s National Adoption Weekend taking place the weekend of September 8-9th, 2012.
Research shows that caring for an animal can improve the mental and physical well-being of their human companion. Some ways becoming a pet parent can positively influence one’s life include:
- Pets combat feelings of loneliness by providing companionship, which can boost overall mood and bring feelings of joy and happiness.
- Pets can serve as the perfect personal trainer, as most pets need to be walked several times a day.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison pediatrician, James E. Gern, has conducted a number of studies that demonstrate having a pet in the home can actually lower a child's likelihood of developing related allergies by as much as 33 percent. Additionally, his research has suggested that children exposed early on to animals tend to develop stronger immune systems overall.
- Pets can expand one’s social circle. People may sometimes have a hard time getting to know others, and pets can be the common denominator that helps them connect.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute of Health (NIH) have both conducted heart-related studies on people who have pets. The findings showed that pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels -- all of which can ultimately minimize their risk for having a heart attack down the road.
Adoption events will be taking place at every Petco and Unleashed by Petco store nationwide the weekend of September 8-9th, 2012. Pet adoption times vary, so it’s recommended to contact the nearest Petco location for adoption hours. At last month’s National Adoption Weekend, 4,042 pet’s lives were saved and Petco hopes to increase that number during the September National Adoption Weekend.
Nutro Natural Choice® will be sponsoring the weekend by offering adopting pet parents $10 off any bag of Natural Choice dog or cat food. In addition, the events will provide animal lovers across the nation the chance to meet many adoptable animals, learn about their local animal adoption groups and personally experience Petco’s Think Adoption First program.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,100 stores nationwide, including more than 30 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $90 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,500 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.