New York, New york (PRWEB) September 10, 2012
Bill, S7787/A10784, has already passed in the legislature and is awaiting signature by Governor Cuomo to force auto insurance carriers to provide better coverage to people injured in motor vehicle accidents. However, the insurance industry is lobbying against the bill. Auto insurance companies do not always advise consumers about SUM (Supplemental Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage) coverage which provides additional insurance protection if the defendant driver at fault has lesser insurance coverage or no insurance coverage. This is very important when the defendant driver only has the minimum coverage of $25,000 or flees the scene.
If the bill is signed, consumers will automatically receive SUM protection in the same amount they choose for their own bodily injury coverage. If a consumer purchases bodily injury coverage of $100,000 to protect them if sued for negligence, that consumer will receive the same $100,000 coverage if they are injured in a motor vehicle accident. The consumer can always opt out of this coverage if they choose as well. New York consumers can contact Governor Cuomo to support this important legislation.
BBNR supports this important bill for all New York State consumers.
BBNR ANNOUNCES 5 IMPORTANT TIPS FOR NEW YORK AUTO ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Many motor vehicle accident victims in New York do not call a lawyer until many weeks after their injury. It is important for New Yorkers to know immediately what to do if involved in a car, bus, or truck accident.
1. If injured in a motor vehicle accident, a No-fault application must be filed with the correct insurance company within (30) days or you may lose health coverage for medical bills and compensation for lost wages. Don’t delay calling an experienced New York Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney for legal help.
2. If a person is working at the time of a motor vehicle accident but in the country illegally or paid off the books, the injured person may still receive worker’s compensation benefits. Don’t delay calling an experienced New York Workers’ Compensation Attorney for legal help.
3. If injured in a motor vehicle accident and medical treatment is required, the No Fault insurance carrier is the primary carrier to pay your medical bills, not the private health insurance. Don’t delay calling an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney for legal help.
4. If injured in a motor vehicle accident, a person should promptly take photographs of the scene of the accident, the parties involved, and obtain the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses. Don’t delay calling an experienced New York Trial Attorney for help.
5. If a municipality is one of the car owners or employers of the driver involved in a motor vehicle accident, a Notice of Claim must be served upon that municipality, usually within 90 days of the accident. Don’t delay calling an experienced New York Personal injury Lawyer for help.