With the explosion of big data and ubiquitous, always-on wireless, design has emerged as a way to cut through the clutter. It's the key to integrating connected technology into daily life.
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) September 05, 2012
GigaOM, a global technology media company, today revealed speakers and topics for its annual GigaOM RoadMap 2012 conference. Now in its second year, GigaOM RoadMap will examine how product design and user interface will evolve in the next few years to humanize connected technologies.
Nearly everyone carries a mobile phone these days, while devices that track physical activity or control the smart home explode in popularity. With all this connectedness, design is emerging as an important way to simplify the experience.
GigaOM RoadMap will feature ground-breaking designers and entrepreneurs who are melding product design with user interface to create simpler, streamlined experiences. Speakers include:
- Yves Behar, founder of fuseproject and chief creative officer at Jawbone,
- George Blankenship, vice president for worldwide sales and ownership experience at Tesla Motors,
- Steve Case, chairman and CEO of Revolution,
- Tony Fadell, founder and CEO of Nest Labs,
- David Karp, founder and CEO of Tumblr,
- Paul Mascarenas, CTO and vice president at Ford Motor Company Research and Innovation,
- Kevin Systrom, co-founder and CEO of Instagram.
"With the explosion of big data and ubiquitous, always-on wireless, design has emerged as a way to cut through the clutter," says Om Malik, founder and senior writer for GigaOM and co-chair of GigaOM RoadMap. "It's the key to integrating connected technology into daily life."
Major themes to be discussed include:
- The age of the beautiful web - Visual experiences are at the heart of today’s web and mobile success stories, from Instagram to Pinterest to Tumblr. Minimalism and beauty are now guiding principles, and the visual web has delivered a renaissance of artisan culture shaping connected gadgets and experiences.
- Next-gen platforms - New platforms such as cars and bodies require redefined user interface that incorporates new mediums like touch, voice and sensors. They’ll also have lasting effects on society as trips to the mechanic or the doctor are replaced with software downloads.
- How the cloud delivers creativity - Big data and the cloud are inspiring creativity by bringing designers more information, better algorithms and more powerful computing. Design in the age of the cloud could result in unorthodox creative processes like crowdsourcing design frameworks.
- Connected consumers - Thanks to connectivity, the retail experience is becoming more personalized, mobile and frictionless. As the web and mobile sharing economy emerges, the concept of buying has been turned upside down.
All GigaOM RoadMap attendees will receive exclusive GigaOM and GigaOM Pro content about the future of connectivity, design and user interface. A limited number of tickets are available. Follow @GigaOM on Twitter and use #RoadMapConf to stay up to date as new speakers and sessions are announced.
Founded in 2006, GigaOM has grown into the leading independent voice on emerging technologies and the disruption of media. The GigaOM news network’s online audience of 5.5 million monthly unique readers relies on its definitive coverage of cloud, mobile, cleantech, consumer web and media. GigaOM Pro offers the highest quality research and analysis of emerging technology markets and the companies making a difference in those sectors. GigaOM Events bring together the people innovating, shaping and defining the ongoing evolution of the technology industry.