Warren, CT (PRWEB) September 08, 2012
In 1986, to commemorate Connecticut’s 350th birthday, the oldest house in each town in the state was awarded a plaque. After an intensive search, the Marsh-Whitlock house on Brick School Road, was named the oldest house in Warren, having been built in 1739. The owners named the property for Ebenezer Marsh who built the original house and Samuel Whitlock who purchased the house 10 years later.
The property was acquired in 1975 when it was in severe need of repair. The owners took on the project with a zealous dedication to restore it to reflect its 18th century heritage rather than remodel it. They uncovered fireplaces, discovered a beehive oven, exposed the old beams, and even moved a cupboard back to its original place in the house. When old boards had to be replaced they found antique boards from the same period as the original. Walls and paneling were repainted colors that they found after peeling away old wallpaper. Some accommodations to modernity were realized in a new wing which includes a kitchen, family gathering room, a master suite and screened porch. However, these modifications were completed with great sensitivity to preserve the architectural integrity and antique barn frame and other old materials were used. A post and beam barn that has an office was built in 1979; a tennis court in 1984. The house is surrounded by 32 acres with a large pond and several large open pastures. Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty is representing the seller. The property is offered at $850,000 with 32 acres. A spectacular 50 acre parcel across the road is also available. The house with both parcels is offered at $1,745,000. Ira Goldspiel and Karen Silk are the Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s agents.
About Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty
Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty serves the luxury home market throughout Litchfield County, Connecticut with a total of 49 full-time sales associates in four offices located in Washington Depot, Salisbury, Kent and Litchfield. Affiliated with Sotheby’s International Realty® since 2002, the Litchfield County offices became part of William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty in 2009 as Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty. Founded in 1949, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty manages a $2.5-billion-plus portfolio with more than 1,000 sales associates in over 30 brokerages spanning Connecticut and Westchester County, New York. William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty, combined with partner firms Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty and Julia B. Fee Sotheby’s International Realty, is now the largest Sotheby’s International Realty affiliate globally, the third-fastest-growing real estate company nationally, and the 23rd-largest real estate company by sales volume in the United States. A full-service real estate firm headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty provides ancillary services including commercial services through its affiliation with Building and Land Technology, a second-generation development company based in Stamford, Connecticut; William Pitt Mortgage, a Wells Fargo mortgage affiliate; William Pitt Insurance Services; and an award-winning global relocation division. For more information about Litchfield Hills Sotheby’s International Realty, visit the website at litchfieldhillssir.com.
Sotheby’s International Realty’s worldwide network includes more than 12,000 sales associates located in 600 offices throughout the United States and 46 other countries and territories.