San Diego, CA (PRWEB) September 12, 2012
After dogs and cats, ferrets are the third most popular pet in the United States, according to the American Ferret Association. Given their friendly disposition, small size, and quiet nature, a ferret makes an ideal pet for urban and family homes. On September 15 - 16, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., families are invited to attend Petco’s “Meet the Critters” event to interact with ferrets and discover if the pet is right for their home.
During the two-day, family friendly “Meet the Critters” event, guests can interact with ferrets while learning about their diet, habitat and unique, mischievous personality. The free, monthly educational event allows guests of all ages to enjoy these hands-on activities with an emphasis on responsible pet ownership. Some of the interesting facts attendees will learn include:
- The scientific name for a ferret is “Mustela putorius furo,” which translates to “stinky little thief.”
- A female ferret is called a Jill, a male ferret is called a Hob, a baby ferret is called a Kit and a group of ferrets is called a “business of ferrets.”
- Ferrets are mammals, not rodents, as some may think. They are members of the weasel family and related to minks, otters, badgers and wolverines.
- About 300 years ago, the first ferrets made their way to North America from Europe because they were used to control rodents on the ships of early colonists.
- A newborn ferret is so small that it can fit onto a teaspoon.
- All ferrets are born white and develop their color in about three weeks.
- Ferrets are born deaf and begin to hear in about one month.
For more information on the event please contact a local Petco or go to http://www.petco.com/kids. Not all Petco locations will feature the ferret and may focus on the guinea pig. For specific information on individual Meet the Critters events, please contact a local Petco location.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,150 stores nationwide, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption.