Hilton Head Island, SC (PRWEB) September 15, 2012
On Friday, Sept. 21 from 7 – 9 p.m. Hilton Head Health (H3) will host a TEDx event centered on the topic of health and wellness. Through a series of short lectures, seven experts in their field will gather to discuss the diversity of lifestyle behaviors and how they impact health.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to ‘Ideas Worth Spreading.’ It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader.
TEDx was created in the spirit of TED’s mission. The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue. H3 is hosting a local event called TEDxHiltonHead (#TEDxHH), where x = independently organized TED event. At TEDxHiltonHead, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection.
TEDxHiltonHead featured speakers include nationally recognized motivational speakers, business leaders and weight loss experts:
- Tony Knapp – A highly respected speaker, trainer and consultant, Knapp addresses thousands of men and women each year on a variety of business disciplines. His client list includes such well known companies as General Electric, FedEx, IBM, Marriott International, Nordstrom Department Stores and many other recognizable organizations.
- Jennifer Graftdyk – Founder of Oasis Life Spa, Graftdyk’s passion for inspiring experiences, different lands and ancient knowledge brought on pursuit of whole spectrum wellness. Graftdyk was the Executive Director of the Southeast division of Dovestar Holistic School for 6 years and a Senior teacher at Dovestar Holistic School for 8 years.
- Kurt Struver - Executive Director at Happiness is Camping a Non-Profit summer camp in New Jersey for girls and boys with cancer. Struver has served as Business Manager for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Administrator for the Cooper-Hewitt Museum, the National Museum of Design and the Smithsonian Institution.
- Bob Wright, M.A.T. - Director of Education at Hilton Head Health. Wright’s goal is to provide guests with the knowledge needed to make informed decisions on personal health habits. His expertise includes nutrition, weight loss management and disease prevention. The longest working employee, Wright has been educating Guests at Hilton Head Health for over 30 years and holds a Master’s degree in Health Education from the University of South Carolina.
- Lyle Orr – Business Intelligence Data Architect for Univita Health for the past 12 years, Lyle has also lost over 100 pounds since his stay at Hilton Head Health in April 2011. Orr’s talk promises to leave attendees feeling inspired to conquer anything!
- Lisette Volz, MSW, LMSW - Director of Behavioral Health for Hilton Head Health. In addition to facilitating psychotherapy sessions with a solution-focused approach to increasing personal happiness, Volz lectures on subjects related to emotional resilience, motivation, and mindfulness. She has a special interest in food addiction, obesity related issues, and emotional eating. Volz received her Master’s in Social Work at the University of South Carolina and received post-graduate training in mind/body medicine from the Harvard Mind/Body Medical Institute. Her training at Harvard won Volz the position of Program Director for the Columbia Mind/Body Medical Institute.
- Adam Martin, B.S., ACSM Health Fitness Specialist® – Adam is the Hilton Head Health Director of Fitness, responsible for Lifetime Fitness and the Internship Program. Adam provides education, weight and health assessment and programming, as well as individualized fitness training.
TEDxHiltonHead is free and open to the public. Seating is limited. To reserve, please contact H3 Fitness Director and Event Coordinator, Adam Martin at amartin(at)hhhealth(dot)com or call (843) 785-7292.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world's leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach, California (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal is held each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
TED’s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily; the new TED Conversations, enabling broad conversations among TED fans; and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
For information about TED's upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration
Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TED
About Hilton Head Health
Hilton Head Health is the first, the last and the only place for sustainable weight loss. The First… founded in 1976, Hilton Head Health is one of the original weight loss spas destinations in the U.S. The Last… ‘diet’ many will ever try have to try; Hilton Head Health is grounded in teaching guests how to take control of your health through a program routed in fitness, nutrition, longevity and health. The Only… place for sustainable weight loss.
For over 35 years, Hilton Head Health has been recognized as the premier weight loss and health retreat in the United States. Most recently, Hilton Head Health was featured on A&E’s weight loss docudrama HEAVY, which aired in spring 2011. Voted as “Best for Weight Loss” for the past five consecutive years by SpaFinder and “Top 5 US Health Spas” by Lisa Drayer on the Today Show, Hilton Head Health is an exclusive resort delivering individualized experiences in the areas of Fitness, Nutrition and SELF (Stress management, Empowerment, Longevity, Fulfillment). For more information, please visit http://www.hhhealth.com or call 800-292-2440. Free health and fitness tips, as well as healthy recipes are available on the official H3 blog at http://www.h3daily.com. Become a part of the H3 Family by joining the conversation on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hiltonheadhealth, and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/HHHealth_H3.