Protect Your Bubble takes a closer look and provides tips on how to keep smartphones from causing problems in relationships.
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) September 25, 2012
Today’s society relies on their smartphones more than ever. Whether using them for work, social networking, communicating with family and friends, navigation, or all the above, it’s clear that these devices take up much of a consumer’s day. However, studies show that smartphones are actually wreaking havoc on couples. Protect Your Bubble takes a closer look and provides tips on how to keep smartphones from causing problems in relationships.
Ironically, smartphones are a means of communication however; many psychologists are blaming these “communication devices” for the lack of effective communication among couples. According to an article on MinutePyschology.com, clinical psychologist Serena Sinniah said, “Over-dependence on the smartphone could cause a strain in a relationship when the users were ‘hooked’ to the gadget while with friends and loved ones. Being preoccupied with your smartphone when you are with other people can send the message that they are not all that important…It also stops you from responding to non-verbal signals and this could lead to a communication breakdown.”
Smartphones are here to stay, so it’s important that users are aware of the effects that the devices can have in relationships. Below are three tips for setting limits on smartphone usage:
1. Know when to turn the phone off – Most people have seen the pathetic scene at a restaurant
where the couple dining isn’t talking to each other, but instead they are both engrossed in their smartphones. It’s important to connect with loved ones in the “here and now.” Consumers should draw boundaries to help keep relationships healthy. One great way to practice this tip is to turn off the phone during dinner. Also, do not check emails or social media sites during conversations. Remember that it’s ok to unplug; that email, text or tweet will still be there later.
2. A good night’s sleep is good for everyone – Research shows that couples who fiddle with their gadgets before going to sleep are having a harder time getting valuable rest, eventually leading to irritability. According to Time’s Techland blog, “Interactive technologies can be particularly disruptive because they stimulate the brain and stop you from beginning the sleep onset process.” Whatever it is, it can wait until the morning.
3. Don’t get too friendly on Facebook – It’s a slippery slope and very dangerous for marriages.
While it’s easy to rekindle an old romance, or strike up a new one, it’s a road that smartphone users should not venture down. Facebook flirting, text messages, and so on can be hurtful. Invest in communication with your spouse – don’t take it “online” elsewhere.
While it’s recommended to practice smartphone usage in moderation, these devices are still an
important part of modern society. Consumers should protect their smartphones with gadget insurance for peace of mind. ProtectYourBubble.com coverage includes loss, theft, accidents and damage and provides replacement devices in 24 hours. For more information, visit ProtectYourBubble.com.
About Protect Your Bubble
Protect Your Bubble is a specialty insurance brand, offering insurance for gadgets, pets and
travel - all for today’s modern consumer.
Gadget - Smartphone and tablet insurance covers loss, theft and water damage and consumers will receive a replacement device in 24 hours. Home gadget warranties provide coverage for mechanical breakdown and accidental damage for laptops, game consoles and cameras as well as mechanical breakdown for appliances, televisions, desktop computers, home theater systems and more.
- Travel - Plans provide a variety of coverage for single and multi-trip options including cancellation, interruption, medical/dental, baggage, rental car and much more like 24/7 emergency services including, consult a doctor, roadside assistance, restaurant reservations and even set up tee times through their concierge services.
- Pet - Plans provide up to 90 percent reimbursement for covered vet charges for eligible accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and behavioral treatments and alternative therapies. They allow owners to visit any licensed vet in the country. Additionally, annual deductible options start at $100 which only need to be met once per plan year.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Protect Your Bubble is available online, via mobile app or phone, allowing consumers to understand, buy and, most importantly, protect what enriches their lives. Find Protect Your Bubble USA on Facebook or Twitter (@PYBUSA) or visit http://www.protectyourbubble.com for more information or to get a two-minute quote today.
Protect Your Bubble USA