Everyone needs a guide like Brooke in the rapidly changing publishing landscape. She’s someone you can trust to help you navigate the confusing and complicated waters of traditional publishing versus self-publishing." — M.J. Rose, founder of AuthorBuzz
Berkeley, Ca. (PRWEB) October 15, 2012
What’s Your Book? A Step-by-Step Guide to Get You from Inspiration to Published Author is the first published book out from She Writes Press—a press that’s being billed as a new publishing solution for women writers. The book provides the best-kept secrets learned from Brooke Warner's thirteen years of experience in book publishing and author coaching.
From assisting authors as they decide what they ultimately want from publishing to examining the five most common hurdles writers face—while providing strategies to move through the difficult places—Warner helps authors help themselves. With invaluable advice regarding how and why to build an author platform to developing a unique publishing plan, What’s Your Book? itself is a publishing solution.
Warner’s book is a roadmap for authors with five chapters that present a clear arc to lead authors from inspiration to published book:
1. The Art of Becoming an Author: To become an author, writers must begin to think like authors. This starts with understanding how the industry thinks about books and beginning to educate oneself on becoming a great publishing partner in order to attract and agent and/or publishing house.
2. Anyone Can Do It: There are six primary hurdles authors faces over the course of their journey to complete a book—including inside forces like the voices of the inner saboteur, and outside voices Warner calls “time bandits” that steal away precious writing time. Getting over these hurdles, one at a time if necessary, takes patience, self-awareness, and perseverance, and anyone can do it.
3. Challenging Your Mindset: The biggest thing holding authors back from their publishing goals is their own minds. Challenging the way we think about our writing—from its inherent value to our need for it to be perfect—can unleash a previously untapped resource: confidence. Exploring the ways in which mindset holds us back or sets us free is yet another forward step on the path to getting published.
4. The Almighty Author Platform: In today’s publishing climate, platform is often more important than writing—much to many writers’ consternation. The best way to get started is by learning how to have fun with it. It’s something all authors must build, but it’s important to understand why it matters and how to do it without becoming completely overwhelmed.
5. Your Publishing Plan: Warner believes that not publishing, just because the barriers to traditional publishing are too high, should not be an option. When a writer chooses to pursue publishing, they have three clear paths—Agents Way; Publishers Row; and Self-Publishing Boulevard. Warner’s goal is to help make aspiring authors aware of the the pros and cons of each, and to support them to publish—no matter which path they choose.
For more writing and publishing tips, follow Brooke on Facebook and Twitter and join WriteTip Tuesdays every week: facebook.com/warnercoaching | @brooke_warner
About Brooke Warner:
Brooke is the founder and president of Warner Coaching Inc., where she specializes in helping writers get published. She is also the publisher of She Writes Press. In her thirteen years in the publishing industry, including seven-plus years as an acquiring editor at Seal Press, Brooke shepherded over 500 books through the publication process. Her expertise is in traditional and new publishing, and she is an equal advocate for publishing with a traditional house and self-publishing. Brooke’s website, http://www.warnercoaching.com, is the recipient of an award from the Association of Independent Authors for Best Website for Independent Authors. She sits on the board of the National Association of Memoir and She Writes. What's Your Book? is her first book and she’s proud to be publishing on She Writes Press. Warner lives in Berkeley, California, and works remotely with clients nationally and internationally.
Find Brooke online: http://www.warnercoaching.com
About She Writes Press:
She Writes Press is an independent publishing company founded to serve members of She Writes, the largest global community of women writers online, and women writers everywhere. We are a curated press that’s both mission-driven and community-oriented, aiming to serve writers who wish to maintain greater ownership and control of their projects while still getting the highest quality editorial help possible for their work. Every expert we work with has been hand-picked by She Writes founder Kamy Wicoff and/or She Writes Press publisher Brooke Warner. If you publish with She Writes Press, you will work with editors passionate about writers and writing, many of whom are writers themselves.