Food poisoning can be easily prevented with practical steps, such as separating raw meats and using two cutting boards, to stay safe in the kitchen.
Coppell, TX (PRWEB) May 09, 2012
It’s easy to count the number of people who get sick each year with a foodborne illness, and you can even use your fingers…1 out of every 6 Americans.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that adds up to over 48 million people. Of those, 128,000 are hospitalized and 3,000 people die as a result of foodborne pathogens such as salmonella, listeria and E. coli. Those that are at the greatest risk include older adults, pregnant women and young children.
“Foodborne illnesses and deaths are preventable, and as such, unacceptable,” said FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, M.D. “We must do better by intensifying our efforts to implement measures that are prevention-oriented and science-based.”
Teaching the basics of food safety to your children is not only important to their health, but it can also be fun and rewarding. Start with these prevention tips while empowering kids to keep a watchful eye on food safety practices at home.
Ask the kids to follow the “A-B-C” rule, which stands for “always be clean!” Here’s how:
- Always have clean hands. Wash hands often with antibacterial soap and warm water for 20 seconds, or about as long as it takes to sing the A-B-C’s song. Wash hands both before and after handling food items in the kitchen.
- Always use a clean cutting board. Consider cutting boards of different sizes and colors to keep raw meat, poultry or seafood completely separate from ready-to-eat foods like fruits, vegetables, cheese or breads. Store cutting boards in a lower cabinet and teach the children to select the right color or shape for the job.
- Always keep raw meat and fish wrapped and separated. Separate raw items when shopping to prevent them from touching foods like fruit or salad items. Consider a separate grocery tote for raw items and wash out thoroughly before re-use. Even store raw meats and seafood on a low shelf in the refrigerator to prevent an accidental drip on items below.
“Food poisoning can be easily prevented with practical steps, such as separating raw meats from ready-to-eat foods, and using (at least)two cutting boards, to stay safe in the kitchen,” said Ruth Frechman, a registered dietitian and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics spokesperson. “Don’t confuse them, and always wash (cutting) boards thoroughly in hot, soapy water or in the dishwasher after each use,” Frechman says. “Discard old cutting boards that have cracks, crevices and excessive knife scars.”
Dexas has been a leader in food safety since its founding in 1969. Dexas creates cutting boards in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors, with a majority of the boards made in the USA. Recent innovations, like translucent fruit and vegetable-shaped cutting boards, add a creative touch to make eating at home fun and healthy.
Dexas Cutting & Serving Boards, shaped like fruits and vegetables – kids love to engage with these decorative cutting boards, featuring a non-slip, flexible green edge. The edge holds the cutting board firmly and safely in place on the counter. It also acts as a raised barrier, keeping juice and seeds on the board. The tough propylene surface resists knife scars and is safe for all foods.
- Materials: propylene cutting surface, overmolded, non-slip TPE edge, BPA-free
- Average size: approx. 13 in x 10 in
- Shapes and colors: eggplant, lemon, tomato, green apple, orange, watermelon
- Dishwasher safe, won’t warp, crack or peel
- FDA safe for all food contact
Dexas Heavy Duty Grippmat® Set – kids are delighted with these cutting boards that aren’t boards at all, but durable, non-slip, flexible cutting mats. Available in bright colors and two sizes – the smaller size is a kid-friendly 8 x 11 inches - this set of four Grippmats rolls up to precisely funnel cut foods into pans or bowls. No more freshly cut pieces rolling onto the floor! Each set comes in 4 colors, with suggested colors for beef, vegetables, cheese and poultry. The non-slip backing web grips tightly to the counter, for safety.
- Materials: polypropylene, non-porous, non-absorbent, BPA-free
- Cutting surface won’t dull knives, non-slip Santoprene® backing
- Sizes: large, 11.5 in by 14 in; small, 8 in by 11 in
- Food-specific colors, assigned for safety
Founded in 1969, Dexas International is proud to be the largest manufacturer of cutting boards in the USA. Dexas designs, manufactures and markets kitchen tools, gadgets and cutting board products which stimulate culinary creativity and family involvement while eating healthier at home. The line is available in stores and online at Bed Bath & Beyond, Crate & Barrel, The Container Store, Williams-Sonoma, Macy's, Dillards, Sur la Table and other gourmet specialty stores.
For more information, visit http://www.dexas.com for innovative products for the kitchen, office and even for pets. Follow Dexas on Facebook and check out ideas for healthy eating and kitchen creativity by following Dexas on Pinterest.
Reference: CDC.gov, homefoodsafety.org, foodsafety.gov, kidseatright.org, eatright.org, Dexas.com
# # #