Hattons Solicitors anticipate busiest period of the year after January’s 'divorce day'

Share Article

Hattons Solicitors react to the announcement from the Government to invest £10 million in order to help couples end their marriage more easily and to speed up the process.

It’s a sad fact that many marriages do not survive far into the new year, with the first working day of January being dubbed 'divorce day' amongst divorce lawyers dealing with the fallout.

A recent survey published by the Liverpool Daily Post (link below) showed that women are the more likely to initiate divorce proceedings, with 78% of case applications being submitted by wives, whilst the remaining 22% are submitted after a joint decision to end the marriage. Infidelity and falling out of love were the most common reasons behind filing for divorce.

Although Christmas is a time associated with happiness, giving, and spending time with the family, it is known to put added pressure on relationships. Financial problems are often exacerbated by the demands of Christmas on a family and the current gloomy economic climate will make it a particularly stressful time for many couples.

Being forced to spend extended periods of time with each other is not always a recipe for romance and can have the opposite effect, driving couples apart, causing arguments that add to the stress of Christmas.

Divorce Solicitor Zac Mawhinney from north-west based Hattons Solicitors commented, “We have seen a rise in people contacting us regarding divorce during the festive period. Christmas brings with it a lot of financial and emotional stress, and with couples spending more time with each other than they normally do, issues within relationships can be put under a spotlight.
“At New Year people tend to reassess their lives and decide what they want in the future. This can often mean ending a marriage that is struggling. For those already unhappy under wedlock the pressure of having a successful Christmas can prove to be too much, and rather than attempting to resolve the issues affecting their relationship, divorce is seen as the most viable solution.”

According to the Ministry of Justice* (link below) the added financial insecurity that the current recession has created could potentially see less people able to go down the route of expensive court proceedings. As a result the government has launched a new campaign to urge couples to consider mediation to avoid "traumatic" courtroom battles by investing £10 million into mediation services to help people end their marriages more easily.

Hattons Solicitors are based in Widnes and St. Helens and specalise in providing expert legal advice and support regarding divorce and family law. For more information visit http://www.hattonslaw.com or call 0800 298 9690.

*Liverpool Daily Post: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-local/2012/11/15/women-in-the-driving-seat-of-divorce-99623-32234082/
*Ministry of Justice: http://www.justice.gov.uk/news/press-releases/moj/additional-10-million-to-fund-mediation-and-help-separating-couples-avoid-court-battles

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Zac Mawhinney
Visit website