St Louis, MO (PRWEB) January 16, 2013
Cool temperatures across the country have forced more than just people to find warmth indoors. Nuisance wildlife including raccoons, squirrels are bats are also making their way into homes to seek shelter from the cold. Blue Chip, a pest management company servicing St Louis and surrounding areas, reminds homeowners that while nuisance wildlife may appear cute and cuddly, they can become a threat once inside.
Many wild animals are known to pose serious health and property risks for homeowners when they access a structure. In fact, some nuisance wildlife species like bats and raccoons are frequent carriers of rabies, a potentially fatal disease if left untreated.
“Most people don’t consider the health and safety risks posed by nuisance wildlife, but when it comes to these critters, we urge homeowners to take caution,” said Jeff Phillips, Vice President for Blue Chip . “Wild animals can bite or claw if they feel threatened, so homeowners should not attempt to remove them on their own. Rather, contact your local wildlife or pest professional for help.”
Experts at the National Pest Management Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, recommend the following tips to keep nuisance wildlife in the wild:
- Seal any cracks or crevices on the exterior of the home with caulk and steel wool.
- Pay special attention to holes in the structure that lead to dark secluded areas, like attics and belfries.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep tree limbs cut back 6 to 8 feet from the roofline and store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
For more information on how to maintain a pest-free home, visit stlbugs.com.
Blue Chip Pest Control and Removal Services St. Louis is proud to be a family owned company that has served St. Louis since 1959. We protect the entire St. Louis area with pest control services such as; pest control, rodent control, termite control, wildlife removal, and mosquito control services.