My pharmacy prescribed a medicine that wasn't mine. I caught it with the iPharmacy Pill Identifier and called my pharmacy. [It turned out the medicine] was another consumer's with same last name.
San Jose, CA (PRWEB) January 08, 2013
iPharmacy is one of the most successful medical apps on both iPhone and Android platforms. The iPharmacy app features a drug dictionary, medication reminder, drug price comparison, pill identifier, drug and food safety alerts and one of the largest mobile medication communities.
By the end of 2012, more than 2,000,000 professional and consumer users have used the iPharmacy app. Six hundred and forty-four iPharmacy users participated in a survey that investigated its effectiveness in medication management. Participants included 279 (44%) consumers, 192 (31%) health care providers, 106 (16%) medical students, and 53 (8%) other professionals.
The survey found:
- Extremely high iPharmacy user engagement: Over 50% of iPharmacy users reported using the app at least once a week and only less than 10% reported using the app less than once a month.
- Of the respondents, 62% reported improved medication literacy and 39% reported improved medication adherence as a result of using iPharmacy.
- Health literacy was associated with greater medication adherence: 53% of respondents reported iPharmacy helped them improve medication adherence, compared with 39% of all iPharmacy user survey respondents.
- High iPharmacy user engagement was associated with greater medication adherence: 44% to 64% of respondents reported iPharmacy helped them improve medication adherence, compared with 39% of iPharmacy user survey respondents.
- iPharmacy empowers users to take charge of their own health: 49% reported the iPharmacy pill identifier feature saved them from taking the wrong medicine. Donna from Washington shared with us, “My pharmacy prescribed a medicine that wasn't mine. I caught it with the iPharmacy Pill Identifier and called my pharmacy. [It turned out the medicine] was another consumer['s] with same last name.”
“iPharmacy is committed to making the world a healthier place. The encouraging results show that iPharmacy does help people understand their medicines better and empowers consumers to be their best health advocates, thus to improve the efficiency of the whole healthcare system and right in time for Healthcare Reform when every consumer in the US will be responsible for making the most cost effective healthcare choices for themselves and their families,” said Dr. Bill Cui, CEO of MedConnections Inc.
Medication non-adherence is estimated to contribute $290 billion in costs in the U.S. The World Health Organization has identified medication non-adherence as the leading cause of preventable morbidity, mortality, and unnecessary health care costs. The iPharmacy survey results validates that the iPharmacy app is valuable tool to improve medication literacy, adherence, and promote safe use of medicines.
About MedConnections Inc
MedConnections Inc’s iPharmacy app is the world’s most downloaded medication management and adherence app having already helped 2,000,000 users improve medication literacy, medication adherence and reducing their medical and pharmacy costs. MedConnections' iPharmacy app digitally improves medication adherence and includes: medication guide, medication reminder,medication list, healthcare mobile community, pill identifier, prescription discount card, drug price comparison, FDA recalls and alerts, pharmacy locator, and weekly pharmacy deals. iPharmacy has helped patients lower medication costs, become more informed and empowered, and has improved behaviors toward medication therapy – the result - greater medication adherence. iPharmacy is available at Apple App Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipharmacy-pill-identifier/id368679506?mt=8 and Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigmaphone.topmedfree&hl=en. For more information, visit http://www.medconnections.com or email: info(at)medconnections(dot)com.
# # #