In addition to extending the shelf life of meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers, freeze drying makes food lighter and therefore easier to transport.
Nashville, Tenn. (PRWEB) January 10, 2013
A report by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration revealed that 2012 was the warmest year on record in the lower 48 states. Nearly one-third of the U.S. population experienced 10 or more days of higher than 100 degrees (Fahrenheit), and there were approximately five times as many record-high temperatures as there were record-lows.
Extreme heat can result in power outages, rolling blackouts and rolling brownouts, making an emergency food supply important, according to Power4Patriots. Best known for teaching people how to build their own environmentally-friendly sources of energy such as solar panels and wind turbines so that they can slash their power bills and be safe when power outages occur, the company also wants to help people make wise choices when it comes to stockpiling food.
Here are Power4Patriots’ 5 reasons for stockpiling freeze-dried food:
1. Moisture removal. Water can be the enemy of food because the natural moisture in food is what causes it to eventually spoil, due to bacteria and mold requiring a moist environment to grow and thrive. Removing the moisture from food in order to extend its shelf life is the principle behind freeze drying. In fact, the shelf life can be as high as 25 years for some freeze-dried items.
2. Easy to carry. In addition to extending the shelf life of meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers, freeze drying makes food lighter and therefore easier to transport.
3. Nutritional content. Freeze drying preserves most of the nutritional content of food. The fiber, carbohydrates and minerals found in many foods are not affected when that food is dried.
4. Taste. Some people believe that freeze-dried food is tastier than food that has not been dried, especially fruit because with the water removed, the natural sugar is more concentrated.
5. Convenience. Freeze-dried food is convenient when people are on the move during an emergency because they can either re-constitute it with water or eat it in its dried state.
Check out this Power4Patriots blog post to learn the importance of hoarding coffee for an emergency situation.