NVISION Laser Eye Centers Says There is a Higher Incidence of Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma in Southern California

Share Article

January is National Glaucoma Awareness Month.

News Image
"In the Chinese and Vietnamese glaucoma population, 50% will develop acute angle closure," says Dr. George Baerveldt.

Dr. George Baerveldt, NVISION Laser Eye Centers’ glaucoma surgeon, says that Southern California has a higher incidence of acute angle-closure glaucoma cases because of the large Asian population in the region.

Since January is National Glaucoma Awareness Month, NVISION Laser Eye Centers is encouraging those at a genetic risk of acute angle-closure glaucoma to set up a exam with your eye doctor this month.

Glaucoma is an eye disease in which the optic nerve is damaged in a characteristic pattern. This can permanently damage vision in the affected eye(s) and lead to blindness if left untreated

Glaucoma can be roughly divided into two main categories, "open-angle" and "closed-angle" (or "angle closure") glaucoma. The angle refers to the area between the iris and cornea, through which fluid must flow to escape via the trabecular meshwork.

“Only two percent of the U.S. population over 40 years of age develops glaucoma, and 90% develop open-angle glaucoma which requires long-term treatment,” says Dr. Baerveldt. “The other 10% develops acute angle closure glaucoma. However, in the Chinese and Vietnamese glaucoma population, 50% will develop acute angle closure.”

Acute angle-closure glaucoma is caused by a rapid or sudden increase in pressure inside the eye, called intraocular pressure (IOP). People who are farsighted (called hyperopia) are at an increased risk for acute angle-closure glaucoma because their anterior chambers are shallow and their angles are narrow.

“If the angle closes suddenly, symptoms are severe and dramatic. Immediate treatment is essential to prevent optic nerve damage and vision loss,” says Dr. Baerveldt. “This type of glaucoma can be cured by doing a simple surgery called a laser peripheral iridotomy.”

Dr. Baerveldt performs glaucoma surgery NVISION's Newport Beach or Laguna Hills location. Dr. Baerveldt is an internationally renowned glaucoma surgeon, best known for his glaucoma research and surgical innovations.

About NVISION Laser Eye Centers
NVISION Laser Eye Centers now has 17 locations throughout California. NVISION Laser Eye Centers is the first provider in California to offer LASIK eye surgery with the Swiss-engineered Ziemer Femto LDVD Crystal Line™ Laser -- the highest level of laser vision correction available today. NVISION is also the first provider in California to offer the bladeless, computer-controlled LenSx laser, unquestionably the most technologically advanced option for laser cataract surgery.

With more than 1,400 eye doctors who refer their patients and trust their own eyes to NVISION surgeons, NVISION Laser Eye Centers is the Eye Doctors’ #1 Choice.

For more information, visit http://www.NVISIONCenters.com or call 1-877-91NVISION (1-877-916-8474).

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Jennifer Heinly
J&J Consulting
Email >
Visit website