In order to ensure residents remain safe on the road, the agency is advising them to follow these preparation and defensive driving tips when icy road conditions arise.
Clio, MI (PRWEB) January 21, 2013
According to the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning’s 2011 crash statistics, out of the 284,049 accidents that occurred due to a variety of weather conditions, snow and blowing snow caused 24,756 of those accidents. This is why, at Eaton Insurance Services, the agents want to inform motorists of the dangers of operating their vehicles on icy roads.
It is important to keep in mind that driving in the winter is very different than during other times of the year. Harsh weather, longer periods of darkness, and random icy patches makes driving more hazardous. In order to ensure residents remain safe on the road, the agency is advising them to follow these preparation and defensive driving tips when icy road conditions arise:
- Before leaving on a long trip, check that the lights are clean and working, that the battery is fully charged, and wiper blades and other windows are clean.
- Review the condition, tread depth, and pressure on each tire, including the spare.
- Make sure the brakes are working well.
- When extreme weather is in the forecast, keep an emergency kit in the car.
- In the emergency kit, include a shovel, de-icing equipment, a first aid kit, a blanket, warm clothes, emergency food, and a fully charged cell phone.
- Listen to local/national weather broadcasts. Since conditions can change rapidly, check them regularly and be prepared to change plans.
- If conditions are very bad and the emergency services are recommending that people don’t travel, then avoid making the journey.
- Let someone know the estimated time of arrival to the specific destination.
- Plan alternative routes in case the weather grows worse.
- Keep the gas tank near to full to ensure that it does not run out.
Operating a car on snowy or icy roads is difficult, which is why adapting to the conditions is important. Here are some tips on how to do so:
- Reduce speed to reduce the chances of skidding.
- Avoid harsh braking and acceleration, or sharp steering.
- Slow down in plenty of time before turning corners.
- Increase the gap between the vehicle in front of your car. Ten times the normal distance for braking is recommended.
- Keep the vehicle well-ventilated to avoid drowsiness.
The agents at Eaton Insurance Services hope these tips come in handy for motorists always on the go, no matter the weather conditions. If there is still concern about the risk for accident, injury, collision, and other mishaps, the agency recommends that drivers look into car insurance. This policy can provide financial peace of mind in the event of an unforeseen accident on the road this winter.
About Eaton Insurance Services:
At Eaton Insurance Services, the “Protection Plus Advantage” has been a cornerstone of the agency since it was founded in 1970. Using a foundation of empathy, commitment, excellence, integrity, respect and teamwork, Eaton Insurance Services has been helping clients obtain the protection they need, at a cost they deserve. The agency understands that each customer seeking insurance has unique needs and concerns. They believe that a personal experience should be part of consumers’ shopping experience. It’s the agency’s goal to provide comprehensive protection that is customized to meet the needs of the client in a way that is affordable. The agents at Eaton Insurance Services have specific knowledge about the Michigan insurance market and are able to offer service and products to meet any individual need – be it business or personal.
# # #