Foundation Offers Scholarships to Local Students
The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico is offering a variety of scholarships to area students
Las Cruces, NM (PRWEB) January 23, 2013
The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico is offering a variety of scholarships to area students:
The Harold Cousland Fund for Young Journalists Scholarship was created by the Las Cruces Sun-News and friends, family, and colleagues of the late Harold Cousland, who served as Editor of the Las Cruces Sun News from 1991 to 2001. Applicants must be graduating high school seniors from Doña Ana or Luna Counties, with an interest in journalism.
- The Hispanic Scholarship, established by Dr. Robert Villalobos, Dr. Ernest Flores and others, supports minority youth pursuing higher education. Applicants must be minority graduating high school seniors from a local area high school planning to attend NMSU or Doña Ana Community College.
- The Las Cruces soccer community came together in establishing The Kevin T. Riedel Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is in memory of Kevin T. Riedel who was a major contributor to the soccer community and serves as a tribute for Kevin’s love of the game. Applicants must be active members in the Las Cruces Soccer Referee Association and may be a graduating high school senior or currently enrolled in a higher education institution, including professional and trade schools.
- The Zachary Eiland Lansford Memorial Scholarship is in memory of Zachary Eiland Lansford and was established by his family. Because Zac loved life and hated to see people hurting, the scholarship is designated for a student who wants to go into the nursing field. In addition, applicants must be a graduating senior from Sierra, Otero or Union County.
- R.W. Van Pelt Education Fund Scholarship is in memory of “Rusty” Van Pelt, who was a principal at Mayfield High School from 1967 to 1985. It was established by his family upon his passing in January of 2011 as he had a passion for education. Applicants must be a senior graduating from Mayfield High School this year and enrolling as an education major at NMSU.
- The Sunspot Solar/Mellow and Janet Honek Endowment was established in 2012 to provide scholarships to Native American youth. Applicants must be a graduating high school senior who will be attending New Mexico State University.
- The Barry McClure Memorial Endowment, established in 2012, is for high school graduating seniors who are Doña Ana County residents, and are entering a track, golf or golf management program at any university in the state of New Mexico. The student must be graduating with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
Applications for all scholarships may be obtained at high school guidance counseling offices or downloaded online at the Foundation’s website, http://www.cfsnm.org . Applications must be submitted to the Community Foundation office, 301 S. Church St., Suite H, Las Cruces, NM 88001 (in the one-story annex directly behind the First Community Bank) no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, April 1, 2013.
The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico is a charitable resource linking donors with community needs. Founded in 2000, CFSNM helps facilitate individual, family and organizational philanthropy through targeted grant making, educational scholarships, advocacy and unique program expertise. If you would like to make a donation to any of the scholarship funds mentioned above or CFSNM, please call CFSNM at 575-521-4794 or visit http://www.cfsnm.org.