LEXINGTON, Massachusetts (PRWEB) February 01, 2013
Forbes Consulting Group, the leading market research company that directly accesses the emotional brain to discover consumers’ deep emotional reactions, revealed in a study today that quarterback Colin Kaepernick of the San Francisco 49ers has a slight emotional edge over rival team Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco.
While these quarterbacks have similar emotional standings with spectators going into the Super Bowl on February 3, 2013, they do differ in some key areas. Kaepernick holds a sizable advantage in the performance-related emotional areas of “Mastery,” “Achievement,” “Empowerment,” and “Engagement,” which means that he is viewed as talented and exceptional, a winner at his game and has the power to see his way through to victory because he is absorbed and focused on that goal. Flacco on the other hand, elicits a kinder, gentler profile, holding a lead on “Nurturance,” “Belonging,” “Security,” and “Identity,” which concludes that he shares his victories and connects well with others on his team, is confident and has purpose in his role as quarterback. If the emotional profiles that these two quarterbacks project can be used to predict a winner, it is more likely to be the Achiever, Kaepernick, rather than the Connector, Flacco.
A Tale of Two Brothers
In this unique Super Bowl that features brothers Jim and John Harbaugh as opposing coaches, it is interesting to contrast the emotional profiles of superstar brothers Peyton and Eli Manning. Peyton Manning stands out as the emotional leader among NFL quarterbacks, with exceptionally strong scores in winning and connecting with others. Eli Manning, on the other hand, is associated with a far less positive profile perhaps reflecting his team’s failure to make it into the playoffs.
About the Research
The research used an online survey with respondents in the U.S. and was fielded after the NFC and AFC Championship games. Respondents were all familiar with the quarterbacks they rated, and each quarterback was rated by an equal proportion of fans and non-fans of their respective teams.
The study list includes quarterbacks of all teams that made it into the Divisional Playoffs as well as a few notable quarterbacks for their popularity or former achievements. This is how the players ranked according to the positive emotion that they generate.
1. Peyton Manning (Denver Broncos)
2. Robert Griffin III (Washington Redskins)
3. Tim Tebow (NY Jets)
4. Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints)
5. Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers)
6. Colin Kaepernick (San Francisco 49ers)
7. Eli Manning (NY Giants)
8. Tom Brady (New England Patriots)
9. Joe Flacco (Baltimore Ravens)
10. Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcons)
11. Matt Schaub (Houston Texans)
12. Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys)
13. Alex Smith (San Francisco 49ers)
14. Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh Steelers)
15. Mark Sanchez (NY Jets)
The survey included the use of the proprietary Forbes Consulting MindSight® technology to evaluate emotions generated with these quarterbacks.
- MindSight® enables researchers to “talk to the emotional brain.” It utilizes a patent-pending technique of applied neuroscience to obtain authentic emotional insight from respondents before their conscious mind can edit responses.
- MindSight® employs the Forbes Consulting Unified Model of Human Motivation to explain respondent motivations (published in Review of General Psychology, June 2011).
- MindSight® works by “talking with pictures,” rapidly exposing a proprietary and statistically validated library of emotionally evocative images for respondents to react to – each image is linked to one category in the Model of Human Motivation.
About Forbes Consulting Group
Founded in 1985 and based in Lexington, Massachusetts, the Forbes Consulting Group is a strategic and innovative market research company providing clients with deeper levels of insight about emotions and motivations - and helping them gain strategic market advantage on the strength of this insight. In its 26-year history, Forbes Consulting Group has become a valued resource for Fortune 500 companies. For more information, including the opportunity to receive a demo of MindSight®, the company’s proprietary applied neuroscience technology that uncovers authentic emotional insight from consumers before the rational mind can edit responses, please contact sales(at)forbesconsulting(dot)com.