Princeton, NJ (PRWEB) February 08, 2013
When it comes to love, Valentine’s Day is the day to pull out all the stops, particularly when popping the question. In fact, the latest American Express consumer report found that six million couples are likely to get engaged on February 14. It’s a romantic day already, and with all the history associated with it, it’s an easy date to remember. Now, once someone finds the one, they owe cupid a huge favor. Maybe they've even planned the proposal and asked her father for his blessing. No matter what the circumstances are, buying an engagement ring can be a daunting and overwhelming task. Here are some pointers to get started in the right direction - some practical, some romantic. It’s shopping, and for all the men… Hamilton Jewelers gets it and they're there to help.
The Top 5 Things to know before you start this amazing adventure:
1. What is the budget? One doesn't need the exact number, but have a range in mind, be it monthly payments on an installment program, financing the entire purchase, or any combination of either.
2. What is her style/taste? What kind of jewelry does she already wear? Is she more classic or modern? Feminine or sophisticated? Do her pieces tend to be more delicate or chunky? Simple or ornate? Observe her demeanor, her body language, her dress, and any references she makes about jewelry, fashion and style.
3. What is selling best? While there are an unending variety of patterns, details and metal choices, do some homework about what the future wife thinks will fit her lifestyle the best… remembering that she will be wearing this 24/7.
4. Yes, the 4 Cs are really important. A buyer doesn't need to obtain a gemology degree, but one should have a basic understanding of what contributes to a diamond’s value and appearance. And as fundamental as it sounds, there IS a fifth “C”….Confidence in the jewelry supplier. Ask for referrals -- be sure they are a reputable jeweler who is a member of either the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) or the American Gem Society (AGS). Know the details about Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat.
5. Planning on shopping alone or with the soon-to-be bride? This is a big decision… the surprise proposal vs. the ‘let’s-shop-together’ option. There truly is no right answer here. If someone feels confident in the reconnaissance mission to understand her taste and style, they've done their homework on what to look for… then, by all means, sky-write the proposal and be bold.
Insider tips from your jeweler:
It’s always best to approach engagement ring shopping as you would any other important aspect for a wedding; the groom should bring as much information as he can about what is important and a list of questions. If someone is sure about what style the bride will like, then it’s always helpful to bring photos. However, if this isn't known and want to see options, then simply arrive open-minded and ready to voice opinions.
Most important tip:
Be sure that the jewelry store is a trusted and reputable jeweler. Ask questions and be certain that they make people feel completely comfortable with the entire process. A respectable jeweler will always take time to answer questions and address any concerns. Jewelry can be customized to fit a variety of lifestyles, budgets, and circumstances. Be sure that they deliver exactly what people want!
About Hamilton Jewelers
Founded in 1912, Hamilton serves clients in both the New Jersey and Palm Beach, Florida communities as well as a national and international clientele. Hamilton specializes in fine jewelry of their own design and manufacture, and also offers premium designer names in jewelry and the best in luxury timepieces. For more information, visit http://www.hamiltonjewelers.com.