Rotary Club of La Grange Brings Light to The Village of San Marcos

Share Article

Kerosene lighting is causes millions of deaths every year. Most of them are children. The Rotary Club of LaGrange and the Grid Earth Project to prevent this from happening in the Village of San Marcos, Belize.

News Image

Village of San Marcos

The use of kerosene lamps for indoor lighting causes millions of deaths from respiratory illnesses world wide. Victims under one year old have the least chance for survival.

Working with the Grid Earth Project, the Rotary Club of La Grange is working to save lives in the village of San Marcos. Read more……

Saving Lives with Solar Lights
Almost 2 billion people live without access to electricity, many depending on dangerous fuels like kerosene to light their homes. Kerosene kills millions of people annually from burns and respiratory illnesses. Most of the victims are children.

San Marcos is a beautiful lush forested area in the Spanish Lookout of Belize. They are however remote and have no access to the electrical grid. The Rotary Club of La Grange, Texas is furnishing solar LED household lamps for each family in San Marcos. This will move the village 150 years into the future in lighting.

The savings eliminated by the cost of kerosene can pay a child's tuition and determine whether or not they have the opportunity to attend school. The Grid Earth Project has followed the progress of previous villages which have converted to solar powered LED light and have seen a marked increase in the test scores and reading abilities. Simultaneously, injuries and breathing problems related to the toxic fumes have disappeared.
The distribution is scheduled for January and the Rotary Club will permanently change the quality of life in San Marcos. It is the Grid Earth Project's goal to work with as many clubs as possible to eliminate this needless suffering.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Audrey Cochran
Follow us on
Visit website