There are 18,000 candle-caused fires annually in the United States. And fires are not the only accidents that occur in the home. Poor lighting can lead to accidental slips and falls.
Houston, Texas (PRWEB) February 19, 2013
Experts say that when it comes to accidents, most of them occur in or around the home. Unfortunately, not all accidents are created equal. Some are more damaging than others. According to a recent Houston Chronicle article, on February 1, a fire erupted inside an 82-year-old Houston resident’s apartment. The man died in the fire, which may have actually begun due to a lit cigarette.
Although deaths from home fires have decreased by 50% since the 1970s, there are a large number of house fires caused each year by accidents alone. According to the National Candle Association, there are 18,000 candle-caused fires annually in the United States. And fires are not the only accidents that occur in the home. Poor lighting can lead to accidental slips and falls. At Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC, our Texas insurance agents are encouraging residents to take safety precautions.
7 Ways To Make Your Home Safer
1. Keep the interiors and exteriors well lit- install a motion sensor light outdoors for added security and safety
2. Avoid leaving appliances plugged into electrical outlets when they are not in use to avoid power surges
3. Use circuit breakers for your plugs instead of extension cords – they offer added protection as they will power down if they become overloaded
4. Be sure the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home are working – test them frequently
5. It is hazardous to use power equipment outdoors on wet hedges, grass or other landscaping
6. Never run the car inside of the garage with the door closed – this can release carbon monoxide into the garage and cause serious illness, and sometimes, death
7. Keep the swimming pool covered and well lit during times it is not in use- this will avoid trips, slips and falls
When it comes to fires, avoid leaving candles lit when no one is in the room with them. Always be sure to blow them out in the evening, and avoid smoking indoors. Fires can catch quickly and spread even faster. Residents are reminded that with extra safety measures, there may be some discounts available for homeowners insurance.
Texas residents with questions about safety in the home or concerns about homeowners insurance are encouraged to give the insurance agents at Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC a call today. They are more than willing to help insure residents and keep them safe!
About Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC:
Located in the heart of Houston, Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC is proud to serve the entire state of Texas. The agency continually offers quality coverage and superior customer service while offering low rates due to its Nationwide carrier. The 20 agents that comprise Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC write auto, home, commercial and health insurance policies. The agency’s staff is divided into teams to help assist its clients who have specific insurance needs.