The better prepared you are, the more likely you will find a job that is right for you and the better able you will be to achieve early successes in your new position, Capt. Jim Carman, Director of MOAA’s Transition Center said.
Alexandria, Va. (PRWEB) February 25, 2013
Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) is hosting the Military Executive Transition (MET) program, a one-day workshop that will focus on key aspects of a successful military-to-civilian transition for senior military leaders. The session for senior officers will be held on Wednesday, March 20, and a session for Warrant Officers and senior NCOs will be held on Wednesday, March 13. Both sessions will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza, 901 N Fairfax St. in Old Town Alexandria.
“Today’s civilian job market is highly competitive and demands well-prepared, articulate individuals, able to stand out from their military and civilian competition,” Capt. Jim Carman, Director of MOAA’s Transition Center said. “Leadership experience alone will not automatically open employers’ doors to you, so it is critical to develop a comprehensive strategy to land the right job and achieve early success in your new position,” Carman continued.
The MET program one-day workshop is limited to 20 attendees per session and will focus on:
- Cultural/psychological component of transition into civilian life
- Building a stronger and broader network to accelerate your job search
- Strategies for using recruiters and the opportunity for a group discussion with an experienced recruiter
- Identifying mentors and developing professional relationships
- Key lessons designed to engender success during the first three months in your new job
- A moderated panel of your successfully-transitioned colleagues who are now either self-employed or working in the public, private, nonprofit and academic sectors
In addition to the one-day workshop, registration provides access to:
- MOAA’s Career Center (job board and resume bank)
- Resume development assistance
- Online video interview preparation services
- Hands-on social media job-search training session
- Follow-on personalized mentoring/coaching session with a dedicated career management consultant.
“Many traditional transition courses devote most of the curriculum to resume-writing, interviewing skills and acquiring a business wardrobe. In fact, effective military to civilian transition is a far more complex process and includes many other components you will need to understand in order to adapt to a new culture and new way of doing business,” Carman said. “The better prepared you are, the more likely you will find a job that is right for you and the better able you will be to achieve early successes in your new position,” he concluded.
The senior officer seminar is $499.00 and the Warrant Officer/senior NCO seminar is $399.00, with discounts available for MOAA and Voices For America’s Troops members.
Parking and lunch are also included in the registration fee.
For questions and to register, please email met(at)moaa(dot)org with “MET Registration” in the subject line. Please include full name, the date interested in attending, daytime phone number, and MOAA membership number (if applicable).
# # #
Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) is the nation’s largest officers association with more than 380,000 members from every branch of service, including active duty, retired, National Guard, Reserve, and former officers and their families and survivors. MOAA is a nonprofit and politically nonpartisan organization and an influential force in promoting a strong national defense. MOAA represents the interests of service members and their families in every stage of their lives and careers, and for those who are not eligible to join MOAA, Voices for America’s Troops is a nonprofit MOAA affiliate that supports a strong national defense. For more information, visit http://www.moaa.org.