San Francisco, Calif. (PRWEB) February 26, 2013
Winter’s wrath can leave many travelers yearning for warmer climes, yet those with an affinity for the chilly thrills have a lot to be thankful for. Viator.com – the leading resource for researching and booking tours and activities worldwide – has picked a few activities from its global collection of curated experiences that take full advantage of Mother Nature’s winter bounty to get travelers onto the mountains and into the snow, and even an ice cave or two.
Ski and Snowboard
Viator has a selection of lift ticket and ski packages to some of the U.S. and Canada’s premier resorts this winter. And when the seasons change, ski enthusiasts need only shift continents as destinations in Australia and Chile in particular become prime ski destinations. For those in search of the snowy stuff right now:
- Ski Colorado's Steamboat Mountain Resort, a favorite among the locals with slopes to suit all levels, with 1-to-6 day lift tickets. Plus, kids ski free when parents purchase a 5-or-more day lift ticket.*
- Two-day lift tickets to Crested Butte Mountain Resort in Gunnison, Colorado allow powder hounds to enjoy the mountain’s average snowfall of 300 inches per year.
- The Lake Tahoe Weekend Ski Trip from San Francisco or Sunnyvale includes transportation and 2-nights hotel accommodations at the Heavenly Mountain Resort Casino – a perfect weekend getaway for skiers and non-skiers alike.
- Escape the skyscrapers of Manhattan for the slopes of New York State during the Ski or Snowboard Day Trip from New York City. Roundtrip transport, lift ticket and equipment rental included with the option of a limited lift ticket to make time for a 1 ½ hour group ski lesson.
- For a longer ski season (trips through May 2013) and a longer getaway altogether, the 4 Day or 6 Day Jasper Ski Trip at Marmot Basin from Edmonton includes accommodations (standard or deluxe depending on selected duration), several days of lift tickets (ski and snowboard) and round trip transport from Edmonton International Airport.
Beyond the Boards
Skiing and snowboarding are exhilarating sports, but there are other equally exciting ways to enjoy the cold weather with perhaps a little less balance required!
- The Front Range Snow Tubing Adventure from Denver lets thrill seekers careen down the slopes and catch a lift to the top of the hill to enjoy the sliding without the hiking.
- The Whistler at Night Snowmobile Tour is a breathtaking après-ski adventure to keep the day’s adrenaline pumping into the evening with an exciting journey along Fitzsimmons Creek Valley.
- Ice is not your friend on a ski slope, but it’s the main attraction during the Small Group Maligne Canyon Icewalk in Jasper National Park where travelers explore the frozen canyon, ice caves and frozen waterfalls.
- One of Seattle’s most iconic sights as well as glaciers, waterfalls and wildlife are brought within reach during the small group Mt. Rainier Experience Including Hiking or Snowshoeing (snowshoes this time of year!) complete with a gourmet picnic lunch.
- A true winter wonderland is explored from Portland during the Mt. Hood Snowshoe Adventure amidst the backdrop of forests, lakes and waterfalls, capped off in a cozy lodge with hot chocolate or a bit of wine.
For more travel inspiration – whether headed toward the snow or the sun – as well as the latest deals, promotions, contests and Viator news, check out the Viator Travel Blog and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.
*Special promotion is limited to one free children’s lift ticket per parent or legal guardian.
Viator is the world’s leading resource to discover and book travel activities, providing online and mobile access to more than 15,000 curated trip activities including tours, attractions, shore excursions and private guides, in more than 1,000 destinations worldwide. In-house travel experts work with trusted local operators to ensure the quality and value of every experience, all backed by Viator’s 24/7 customer service and global low-price guarantee. With more than 350,000 verified reviews plus exclusive videos and insider travel tips, Viator has everything a traveler needs to find and book the best things to do worldwide. In addition to the flagship site -- Viator.com – travelers can book in advance or in-destination via the Viator Tours and Activities App for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android, the Viator Shore Excursions website as well as local-language sites for European, Latin American and Asian travelers. Viator also provides tours and activities to more than 2,500 affiliate partners including some of the world’s top airlines, hotels and online travel agencies. Founded in 1995, Viator is a privately held company headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Viator – travel with an insider.