A homeowner and flood insurance review by an experienced NJ insurance agent will identify how to reduce the financial impact for homeowners facing destruction and loss of property.
Tinton Falls, NJ (PRWEB) February 26, 2013
Although most of storm-battered New Jersey was spared from the brunt of Blizzard Nemo, the after effects of Superstorm Sandy’s wrath are still freshly ingrained in the minds of residents. The second costliest storm in United States’ history, Superstorm Sandy brought with it winds, rain and storm surges that flooded the shoreline in New Jersey creating a total of $50 billion in damages.
For many, portable home generators were scarce from the beginning of the storm’s threats, and gone by the time the brutal superstorm hit the coast just seven days later. Mother Nature tends to teach hard lessons to homeowners – lessons that will not soon be forgotten in New Jersey. Homeowners insurance and Flood Insurance is essential for residential property owners, regardless of flood zone because when natural disasters whip through towns, homeowners are often left with costly damages. A homeowner and flood insurance review by an experienced NJ insurance agent will identify how to reduce the financial impact for homeowners facing destruction and loss of property.
Home and Flood insurance isn’t the only necessity for NJ homeowners. For many residents who went for days and days without power in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, Winter Storm Athena or most recently Blizzard Nemo, purchasing a whole-house generator was added to the to-do list.
At Dickstein Associates Agency, LLC, their New Jersey insurance agents have specialized in offering comprehensive solutions to homeowners since 1965. These agents agree that whole house generators are worthy of investment consideration and offer these purchasing tips to help homeowners get started:
- There are many different types of generators available to homeowners, smaller models, portable 3,250-watt models, are less expensive, do not offer as much power, can overheat expensive household appliances, such as refrigerators and sump pumps and require manual fuel supply.
- A whole house generator is typically about a 20,000-watt or greater model and provides automatic back-up power service when your utility fails to supply power.
- Always decide which elements of the home should be supplied with generator power before purchasing a generator and consult with an experienced, licensed installer and authorized manufacturer’s representative to determine the appropriate model, wattage and fuel source.
- Keep in mind that all appliances call for higher current during the startup process than when under normal operation.
- Installation will require a large outdoor space near the home’s electrical service connections that is free of obstructions and has proper clearances.
- Whole house generators operate with natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas – connected directly to the home’s natural gas service providing power when you need it automatically and offering extended or unlimited run time.
- The cost of the generator is just the beginning – installation is an additional cost and there are additional costs for items such as a transfer switch connected to your home’s electrical panel.
- There are also service maintenance agreements available to keep your generator at the ready for reliable 24/7 operation when you need it most.
- Be sure a licensed plumber and electrician take part in the installation, are experienced and certified to reduce the likelihood of mistakes.
- Safety First! Remember to consult with your town’s local building department for permit compliance – extra assurance that your installation will be in accordance with local building codes and inspected during installation and upon completion.
For New Jersey residents who want to avoid the hazards of living without electrical power for any period of time, a whole-house generator is exactly the peace of mind they’re looking for. Those with questions or concerns about how this purchase could impact their homeowner’s insurance in NJ are more than welcome to call Dickstein Associates Agency, LLC for a free insurance and risk management consultation.
About Dickstein Associates Agency, LLC
Since 1965, Dickstein Associates Agency has served New Jersey residents and businesses with comprehensive sound risk management and insurance solutions. The agency’s mission is to offer a full suite of competitive products and services to protect the assets of their clients. The insurance companies they represent are financially secure and are among the highest rated in the industry according to A.M. Best Company, a leading world-wide insurance rating and information agency. Each company is carefully chosen to match every client’s unique needs and goals. And as a Trusted Choice™ agency, Dickstein Associates Agency, LLC is committed to serving every customer as a person, not a policy, so contact them today to solve your insurance needs.