Achieving the ‘third star’ in this important effort allows our team to reach more veterans with our array of comprehensive care programs.
Tavares, Florida (PRWEB) February 28, 2013
Continuing its commitment to provide specialized care for Central Florida veterans, Cornerstone Hospice and Palliative Care (http://www.CornerstoneHospice.org) has achieved Level 3 status with the We Honor Veterans program, a national initiative in collaboration with the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
“With one out of every four dying Americans being a U.S. veteran, Cornerstone Hospice has made a concerted effort to ensure these heroes receive the honor, dignity and medical care they deserve,” said Chuck Lee, Cornerstone Hospice CEO. “Achieving the ‘third star’ in this important effort allows our team to reach more veterans with our array of comprehensive care programs.”
Established in 2010, the Cornerstone SALUTES! program, continues to honor our local veterans with a ceremony, led by a specially-trained U.S. veteran volunteer, tailor-made for the veteran patient and family. During the ceremony, the veteran patient is presented with a special pin and Certificate of Appreciation. Approximately 10 ceremonial pinnings are held each month throughout Cornerstone Hospice’s seven-county region and that number is expected to increase.
As an accredited partner with the national We Honor Veterans initiative, Cornerstone Hospice has completed specific activities using practical resources designed to increase ability the organization’s service to veterans and their families.
- Cornerstone Hospice conducted veteran-specific training for staff and volunteers. The training specifically addresses the differing medical conditions associated with specific war theaters.
- Cornerstone Hospice social workers are educated on veteran benefits to inform veteran patients concerning benefit resources.
- Developed a Veteran-to-Veteran initiative aimed at pairing recruited Veteran Volunteers with hospice patients who are veterans. These Veteran Volunteers have the unique ability to relate and connect with each patient thereby creating an environment where life review and healing may occur.
- Cornerstone Hospice has conducted veteran-specific outreach presentations for community organizations to raise awareness of the need to serve veterans with life-limiting illnesses.
- Integrated a military history checklist and other procedures during patient intake to best determine care strategy while monitoring veteran demographics.
“On behalf of We Honor Veterans Program, we are grateful for the commitment and service that Cornerstone Hospice is providing Veterans and their families. We congratulate the staff at Cornerstone Hospice for achieving the We Honor Veterans Level 3 Partner recognition,” said J. Donald Schumacher, president and CEO of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
About Cornerstone Hospice
Cornerstone Hospice and Palliative Care, Inc., a not-for-profit, community organization since 1984, provides comfort and care to Central Florida families experiencing life-limiting illnesses. Over 5,000 people in Lake, Sumter, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Hardee and Highlands counties benefit from Cornerstone programs each year. Enhanced patient and family care is made possible through the generous support of individuals and groups. For more information, to donate, or to volunteer, call 888-728-6234 or visit http://www.cornerstonehospice.org