Study Reveals That Most Healthcare Providers Are 25% or Less Complete in Their ICD-10 Implementations

Share Article

Aloft Group's ICD-10 Snapshot Study was conducted with over 260 healthcare providers across the U.S. to obtain an understanding of ICD-10 implementation status. Most healthcare providers are 25% or less complete in their ICD-10 implementation process, and respondents find that ICD-10 vendors have much room for improvement in the services they provide.

News Image
While October 2014 will be here before you know it, there is still an opportunity for vendors to step in because clearly providers are in need of guidance and support in their ICD-10 conversion journey.

Healthcare brand consulting, research and communications firm Aloft Group today announced the results of their ICD-10 Snapshot Study, a study conducted with over 260 healthcare providers across the U.S. to obtain an understanding of ICD-10 implementation status.

The majority of the study’s respondents (78%) were from community hospitals and the other 22% were from IDN/healthcare systems, academic medical centers, critical access hospitals, acute care hospitals, and physician groups. The ICD-10 Snapshot study revealed that three out of four providers are 25% or less completed in their ICD-10 implementation process, and one-third of respondents have not yet started the process.

As for the reason for the slow progress, 71% stated lack of time as their top conversion obstacle. Yet, the majority (55%) have no fear they will meet the October 1, 2014 deadline.

For ICD-10 vendors, 41% of participants are frustrated with the lack of guidance their vendors provide, and 44% believe their vendors don’t have an adequate schedule in place to ensure they will be ready in time for the deadline.

When asked what they would most like to see more of from their ICD-10 vendors, the majority (61%) stated the ability to run parallel systems to resolve issues prior to go-live as their top response, followed by assistance with a formalized training plan for user training and education to improve physician acclimation.

“We conducted this study to not only obtain a snapshot of where the industry is right now, but also to communicate the opportunity that ICD-10 vendors have to improve in the services they provide,” said Matt Bowen, president and CEO of Aloft Group. “While October 2014 will be here before you know it, there is still an opportunity for vendors to step in because clearly providers are in need of guidance and support in their ICD-10 conversion journey.”

Other findings of note:

  •     43% don’t agree with the AMA’s opposition to ICD-10 implementation and believe we need to transition to ICD-10. 32% were undecided and 25% did agree with their position.
  •     51% feel somewhat or very confident that the October 1, 2014 deadline will stick.
  •     Coding education is the biggest gap in 75% of providers’ ICD-10 conversion plans, followed by coding implementation (60%).
  •     The leading gap in the ICD-10 education process is proper training tools (48%) followed by financial resources (42%).

To download the executive summary of Aloft Group’s ICD-10 Snapshot Study, please go to http://www.aloftgroup.com/icd-10_study/icd-10_study.htm

About Aloft Group, Inc.
Aloft Group is an internationally focused brand consulting, strategy-organization alignment and communications firm committed to helping companies achieve business and sales objectives and attain leadership positions across countries, markets and channels. Aloft Group has worked with healthcare brands including New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS), Nature Publishing Group, FUJIFILM Medical Systems U.S.A., and Thomson Reuters. Aloft is a part of the E3 Global Agency Network, a hands-on team of brand-growth firms connecting 24 global markets. Aloft has offices in Boston, Los Angeles and London. For more information and video case studies, please visit http://www.aloftgroup.com. Follow Aloft at http://www.twitter.com/aloftgroup.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Tracy Hartman
Follow us on
Visit website